After being contained for three quarters, South Plantation standout tailback Alex Collins busted loose for both of his touchdowns in the fourth quarter to put away host Hallandale 21-13 in a battle of unbeaten teams on Friday.
Collins finished with 186 yards on 24 carries and scored on runs of 28 and 6 yards to lead the Paladins (3-0). His two scores broke a 7-7 tie, giving the Paladins a 21-7 lead late in the fourth quarter before the Chargers (2-1) added a consolation touchdown with time running out.
The teams played to a scoreless first half as Collins was kept out of the end zone despite gaining 78 yards on eight carries.
Quarterback John Franklin (85 yards on six rushes) scored the game’s first points with 3:39 left in the third quarter, breaking for 76 yards for the 7-0 lead. The 99-yard drive took just three plays, beginning with back-to-back first downs off Collins’ runs of 11 and 12 yards before Franklin’s breakaway score.
• Blanche Ely 29, Taravella 0: Blanche Ely’s backup quarterback Nelson Ervin threw for 170 yards and two touchdowns as the host Tigers won in Pompano Beach.
The game was called with 8:19 remaining in the fourth quarter because of lightning in the area. Ervin replaced starter Tyquan Fields after Fields sustained a shoulder injury in the second quarter.
Taravella (2-1) had a missed opportunity early in the first quarter to take the lead. A 75-yard touchdown pass by Lorenzo Jerome was nullified by a holding penalty by the Trojans. Ely (2-1) was able to sustain Taravella’s run-option offense the rest of the game as the Trojans were held to 97 total yards.
• Nova 46, Pembroke Pines Charter 7: The Titans cruised to the victory in front of 250 fans at Flannigan High School.
Senior quarterback Michael Flood threw for 193 yards, four touchdowns and had 68 yards rushing, as well as a punt return touchdown.
• McCarthy 59, Somerset 0: The second annual Walker Bowl wasn’t even close. The Mavericks won in front of 800 fans.
“It is never easy winning like this, you’re left with mix emotions,” said McCarthy coach Byron Walker.
Running Back Frantz Petitpapa scored three touchdowns, two through the air. He finished with 87 yards rushing and 91 yards receiving. Quarterback Brandon Vicens had two rushing touchdowns and 111 yards rushing.
• Everglades 24, Hollywood Hills 13: The Gators improved to 3-0 after their win at McArthur High in front of 300 people.
The Spartans jumped to a 13-0 lead in the first four minutes of the game, but were shut down the rest of the way by the Gators.
Safety Jonnah Cunningham had two interceptions.
• Deerfield Beach 10, Boyd Anderson 7, ppd: Boyd Anderson had the ball and was trailing 10-7 with 9:37 remaining in the fourth quarter when a lighting delay postponed action in the game at Deerfield Beach High School.
The host Bucks had three first-half fumbles and the Cobras two fumbles as well in a sloppy first half.
Kamaal J. DeSouza
• Mourning d. Dillard 25-7, 25-14, 25-6: Amanda Rey 5 kills, 7 aces, 15 assists. Mary Shelow 9 kills, 7 aces, 4 digs. Alyssa Rey 4 kills, 4 aces, 11 digs. ATM 7-0.
• Late Thursday – Mourning d. American Heritage 25-10, 25-7, 25-15: Amanda Rey kill, 3 aces, 9 digs, 17 assists. Savannah Duffy 4 kills, 4 aces, 4 digs. Alyssa Rey 8 kills, 2 aces, 13 digs. ATM 6-0.
• American Heritage 293, Lake Mary Prep 300, Cypress Bay 311, Carrollton 329, Ransom Everglades 330, Academy of Holy Name 340, Community School of Naples 361, Benjamin School 362, Archbishop McCarthy 383 (at Doral Silver Course par 72): Alejandra Merchan (AHP) 71, Marisa Messana (AHP) 72, Julie Steinbauer (CAR) 72, Sierra Brooks (LMP) 72, Claire Hodges (LMP) 73, Valentina Haupt (CB) 73, Claudia Deantonio (AHP) 74, Dree Fausnaugh (LMP) 75, Carolina Garrett (RE) 75, Jamie Freedman (AHP) 76.
• Pine Crest 27, Calvary Christian 34, Coral Springs Christian 87, North Broward Prep 87, Somerset Academy 155: 1. Pasha Gulibert (CC) 18:34, 2. Gabe Tchividjian (CC), 3. Matt Hernandez (PC) 18:55, 4. John Decker (PC) 18:57, 5. Ryan Welch (PC) 18:58.
• Pine Crest 23, North Broward Prep 55, Coral Springs Christian 75, Calvary Christian 82: 1. Ella Wurth (PC) 20:27, 2. Julia Montgomery (PC) 20:31, 3. Katie Pinnell (NBP) 22:10, 4. Jenna Shortridge (NBP) 23:00. 5. Hannah Montague (PC) 23:19.
Carrollton Invitational at Doral