US hands over Bagram prison to Afghans

 

Associated Press

U.S. officials handed over formal control of Afghanistan’s only large-scale U.S.-run prison to Kabul on Monday, even as disagreements between the two countries over the thousands of Taliban and terror suspects held there marred the transfer.

The handover ceremony took place at the prison next to a sprawling U.S. airfield in Bagram, just north of Kabul. President Hamid Karzai has called the transfer a victory for Afghan sovereignty.

The prison, formally known as the Parwan Detention Facility, has been the focus of controversy in the past but never had the notoriety of the prisons at Guantánamo Bay or Abu Ghraib in Iraq.

The prison facility was built about three years ago to replace a holding facility formerly located in an old Soviet hangar inside the base.

Earlier this year, the prison gained unwanted attention when hundreds of Qurans and other religious materials were taken from its library and sent to a burn pit at the military base. The event triggered scores of deadly anti-American protests across Afghanistan; six U.S. soldiers were killed during the violent demonstrations.

“We are telling the Afghan president and the Afghan people that today is a proud day,” said Afghan Army Gen. Ghulam Farouk, who now heads the prison.

The transfer is politically important for Karzai, a member of Afghanistan’s Pashtun community who has been trying to assert his authority and counter accusations by Taliban insurgents that he is an American puppet.

The prison’s successful transfer also is seen as a critical part of the U.S. handover of responsibilities for such institutions to the Afghan government by the end of 2014, when most foreign troops leave the country.

The U.S. has since the signing of the March 9 handover agreement gradually handed over responsibility for most of the 3,000 detainees held at the prison. As some may have been released or others brought in, the prison’s current detainee population under U.S. control is not known but is thought to number in the hundreds.

The U.S. recently suspended the transfer of new detainees apparently because of disagreements with Kabul, which has questioned the long-term detention of suspects without charge after their capture.

The U.S. reportedly fears that Afghan authorities may simply let some detainees go, and appears reluctant to turn over all the suspects it holds.

American irritation was apparent at the ceremony, where the U.S. military was represented by 42nd Military Police Brigade Commander Col. Robert Taradash, who runs the facility. No higher ranking American officers went, although the Afghan government sent its Afghan Defense Minister Enayatullah Nazari and the army chief of staff.

According to Farouk, they are thought to include Pakistanis and other foreign nationals either captured in Afghanistan or transferred to Bagram from other wars, such as Iraq.

The disagreement indicates the tense relations between the U.S.-led NATO military coalition and Karzai, but is not expected to impact military operations around Afghanistan.

It is also unlikely to impact the gradual handover of security responsibilities from NATO to Afghan forces. The United States and its allies are drawing down their military forces in Afghanistan and hope to fully hand over control to the Afghans by the end of 2014.

Nazari said after a ceremony that “very few prisoners” remained with the United States military and the rest are under Afghan control.

He attributed the delay in handing over the rest to “technical issues,” but did not elaborate.

On Sunday, the U.S. also suspended the transfer of about 30 detainees that remained from the original group of about 3,000.

“Some 99 percent of the detainees captured before 9 March have already been transferred to Afghan authority, but we have paused the transfer of the remaining detainees until our concerns are met,” said Jamie Graybeal, a spokesman for the U.S.-led military coalition.

He said concerns focused on the Afghan government’s intentions to implement the March agreement, but would not explain further.

Afghan officials and analysts have said the dispute is over a system of administration detention that allows extended no-trial internment for wartime prisoners. Although this is permitted under the international laws on war, some Afghan officials say it may not be legal under the Afghan constitution.

“There are concerns on the U.S. side about division in the Afghan government over internment and that it is not constitutional,” said Rachel Reid, a senior policy adviser on Afghanistan for the Open Society Foundations. “The basic concern is that if they don’t have internment, they will be released.”

Another issue is how quickly Afghans arrested on the battlefield by U.S. forces are handed over to the government.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Janan Mosazai said all Afghan detainees have to be turned over within 72 hours. The U.S. wants to be able to keep detainees longer than that.

–––

Associated Press Writers Amir Shah at Bagram Air Field and Deb Riechmann in Kabul contributed to this report.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Accused USS Cole bomber Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, a Saudi, shown at left in a photo before his capture by the CIA in 2002 and by sketch artist Janet Hamlin during a 2011 arraignment at Guántanamo.

    Guantanamo

    Court: Poland violated human rights in CIA case

    Europe's top human rights court ruled Thursday that Poland violated the rights of two terror suspects by allowing the CIA to secretly imprison them on Polish soil from 2002-2003 and facilitating the conditions under which they were subject to torture.

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category