Miami

Man dies after personal watercraft hits boat in Biscayne Bay

 

lisensee@MiamiHerald.com

Investigators with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission are examining evidence from a deadly boating accident in Biscayne Bay.

So far, investigators believe the 27-year-old man who died after his personal watercraft collided with a boat was travelling fast in a slow-speed area and wasn’t supposed to drive a personal watercraft at all at night, said Jorge Pino, spokesman with the agency.

Carlos Alberto Fernandez was riding a Yamaha personal watercraft on the bay when the fatal accident occurred. His friend, Jose Luis Moreno, was on another watercraft and desperately tried to save him and call for help.

Fernandez had a wife and children, Pino said.

Investigators were looking into how fast he was travelling and why the two men were on the water at night. Only Fernandez struck the other boat, a 22-foot vessel with a family on board, headed to port.

“It’s hard enough to spot a vessel with navigational lights and proper safety equipment,” Pino said. “Now you have a black personal watercraft at night at a high rate of speed. It’s just a recipe for disaster.”

Florida has a longstanding rule that personal watercraft can only operate during daylight, starting half an hour before sunrise and half an hour after sunset.

Pino said it’s important for boaters and water enthusiasts to follow safety rules. Florida, which has the most registered vessels in the country, reported 742 boating accidents in 2011. Of those, 22 percent involved personal watercraft.

The latest crash on Biscayne Bay happened after 10 p.m. Sunday. A Sea Tow operator headed to Pelican Harbor saw commotion in the water just north of the Venetian Causeway, Fire-Rescue spokesman Ignatius Carroll said.

“When I was heading back to base, his friend was waving to me. ‘Help me, help me! My friend is dying,’” operator Fernando Sordo told a videographer at the scene. “I pretty much went over there to rescue both of them.”

The Sea Tow operator pulled up and found a man in the water, not breathing. It looked like the man had been riding a personal watercraft that collided with the boat carrying a family, Carroll said.

The Sea Tow operator pulled the injured man onto his boat and brought him to the Sea Isle Marina and Yachting Center alongside the causeway bridge. Several people tried to help with CPR until Fire-Rescue arrived.

“Unfortunately, it was a sad scene,” said Ryan Wallach, a professional boater, told a videographer on scene that he rendered CPR, giving chest compressions and breathing until first responders came.

But it was too late.

Fernandez was pronounced dead on the scene, Carroll said.

No one on the boat was hurt. But the family -- a father, mother, two young daughters and an 11-year-old boy -- were in shock.

“They were not injured, but you can imagine just how traumatic and horrific of an accident they witnessed here,” Carroll said.

It’ wasn’t clear if alcohol was involved.

Videographer Raul Torres contributed to this report.

Read more Top Stories stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Radamel Falcao gets loose during AS Monaco's training session at FIU on Monday but he might miss Wednesday’s friendly at Marlins Park while still recovering from a knee injury.

    Soccer | AS Monaco vs. Atletico Nacional at Marlins Park (8 p.m., No TV)

    Soccer friendly at Marlins Park will be missing James Rodriguez and possibly Radamel Falcao

    Billed as a battle between two Colombian soccer stars, Radamel Falcao and James Rodriguez, and Colombia’s top club team, the story line for Wednesday night’s match at Marlins Park between AS Monaco and Colombia’s Atletico Nacional has changed dramatically in the last few days.

  • Affordable Care Act

    Dueling rulings create Obamacare uncertainty

    Two courts issued opposing rulings Tuesday on legality of government to provide financial aid to consumers who buy health insurance on Affordable Care Act exchanges.

  •  
A completed trolley depot sits unused in the West Grove.

    Coral Gables

    Coral Gables postpones decision on trolley-dispute settlement

    After hours of debate that at times grew tense on the dais, the Coral Gables City Commission decided Tuesday to send a proposed settlement of a lawsuit back to the negotiating table after city staff raised issues with building a trolley depot underneath a proposed new 13-story condo tower near the Village of Merrick Park.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category