• Offseason additions: QB Vince Young, DE Mario Williams, DE Mark Anderson.
• Key draft picks: CB Stephon Gilmore, OT/G Cordy Glenn, WR T.J. Graham, OLB Nigel Bradham, CB Ron Brooks, OT Zebrie Sanders, ILB Tank Carder.
• Offseason losses: OT Demetress Bell, ILB Reggie Torbor, CB Drayton Florence.
• Outlook: There’s finally optimism in Upstate New York. The signing of Mario Williams to the richest contract for a defensive player in NFL history means the team is willing to overspend to bring talent. The defense should be vastly improved with the pass rush of ends Williams and Mark Anderson and the coverage skills of first-round pick Stephon Gilmore. The Bills got off to a hot start, but fizzled when Ryan Fitzpatrick’s play dropped. More consistency could earn Buffalo a playoff spot.
• Offseason additions: QB David Garrard, WR Legedu Naanee, DE/OLB Jamaal Westerman, OLB Gary Guyton, CB Richard Marshall, S Tyrell Johnson.
• Key draft picks: QB Ryan Tannehill, OT Jonathan Martin, DE Olivier Vernon, TE Michael Egnew, RB Lamar Miller, DE/OLB Josh Kaddu, WR B.J. Cunningham.
• Offseason losses: QB Chad Henne, FB Lex Hilliard, WR Brandon Marshall, G Vernon Carey, DE/DT Kendall Langford, DE/DT Phillip Merling, ILB Marvin Mitchell, CB Will Allen, SS Yeremiah Bell.
• Outlook: The front office might not want to hear it, but the rebuilding phase is in full swing. With Ryan Tannehill as a starter, growing pains can be expected. Next season, the Dolphins should have a lot of room under the salary cap if they want to sign impact players.
New England Patriots
• Offseason additions: RB Joseph Addai, FB Tony Fiammetta, WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Jabar Gaffney, WR Donte’ Stallworth, G Robert Gallery, DE/DT Jonathan Fanene, DE/OLB Trevor Scott, OLB Bobby Carpenter, CB Will Allen, CB Marquice Cole, S Steve Gregory.
• Key draft picks: DE/OLB Chandler Jones, ILB Dont’a Hightower, S Tavon Wilson, DE/OLB Jake Bequette.
• Offseason losses: RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, WR Chad Johnson, OT Matt Light, DE Andre Carter, DE Mark Anderson, OLB Gary Guyton, CB Antwaun Molden, S James Ihedigbo.
• Outlook: The Patriots were undone in the Super Bowl by their shoddy pass defense, so coach Bill Belichick addressed the problem in the draft. If the defense can improve to mediocre, quarterback Tom Brady should have New England fighting for another Super Bowl title.
New York Jets
• Offseason additions: QB Tim Tebow, WR Chaz Schilens, OT Stephon Heyer, SS LaRon Landry, SS Yeremiah Bell, K Josh Brown.
• Key draft picks: DE/DT Quinton Coples, WR Stephen Hill, ILB Demario Davis.
• Offseason losses: RB LaDainian Tomlinson, WR Plaxico Burress, DE/OLB Jamaal Westerman, CB Marquice Cole, SS Jim Leonhard, S Brodney Pool.
• Outlook: The familiar blueprint: a strong defense, questions surrounding the offensive line and receivers and a young quarterback on the hot seat. The biggest difference between the Jets and Dolphins is the expectations. While the Dolphins are rebuilding, bombastic coach Rex Ryan is pushing for a Super Bowl. That doesn’t even take the distraction of the Tim Tebow media circus as a backup to Mark Sanchez into account.