WEEK 1 – AUG. 31-SEPT. 2
Columbus vs. St. Thomas Aquinas, Aug. 31, 7 p.m., Sun Life Stadium
Miramar at Bradenton Manatee, Sept. 2, 2 p.m.
• Comment: The two Catholic school juggernauts meet in one of the more highly-anticipated Dade-Broward showdowns in recent memory. Miramar opens the season against the Class 7A state favorite Bradenton Manatee, which enters the year ranked No. 1 nationally by MaxPreps.
• Others to watch: Plantation at Hallandale, Aug. 30; Dillard at Boyd Anderson, Aug. 31; University School vs. Island Coast, Aug. 31, 9 p.m., Orlando; Miami Gulliver at Chaminade, Aug. 31, 4 p.m.
WEEK 2 – SEPT. 7
St. Thomas Aquinas at Cypress Bay
• Comment: Cypress Bay enters the season with hopes of dethroning district rival Miramar as the top Broward team. A victory against mighty St. Thomas at home would go a long way toward building confidence. The Raiders, however, are loaded and have state title aspirations of their own.
• Others to watch: American Heritage at Jacksonville Bolles, Sept. 7; Blanche Ely at Miramar, Sept. 7; Northeast at Hallandale, Sept. 7.
WEEK 3 – SEPT. 14
Don Bosco Prep (NJ) at St. Thomas Aquinas, 8 p.m.
• Comment: Aquinas has fared well against some of the nation’s best at home when playing on national TV. Another recently-minted national champion visits Brian Piccolo Stadium trying to prove it can beat one of South Florida’s best programs.
• Others to watch: University School at Cocoa, Sept. 14; Taravella at Blanche Ely, Sept. 14; Miramar at Northeast, Sept. 14.
WEEK 4 – SEPT. 21
Boyd Anderson at Northeast
• Comment: The District 14-7A championship race figures to be one of the best in Broward this season. It will start to take shape after these two talented teams clash. The winner will be in cruise control, leaving the other in “must-win” mode the rest of the way.
• Others to watch: Stranahan at Archbishop McCarthy, Sept. 21; Cypress Bay at Flanagan, Sept. 21; McArthur at Orlando Dr. Phillips, Sept. 21.
WEEK 5 – SEPT. 28
Cypress Bay at Miramar
• Comment: This could be the first of two meetings between the district rivals, and should eventually determine the District 12-8A champ. But look for a potential second-round rematch to determine who may end up in Orlando in Class 8A.
• Others to watch: South Plantation vs. Taravella, Sept. 28, Coral Springs; Stranahan vs. Hollywood Hills, Sept. 28, McArthur; McArthur at St. Thomas Aquinas, Sept. 28.
WEEK 6 – OCT. 5
St. Thomas Aquinas at Miramar
• Comment: No rest for Miramar coming off its showdown against Cypress Bay. Last season, the Patriots put themselves on the national radar with a road win at Aquinas. Will the Raiders get payback or is the younger Miramar squad up to defend the home turf?
• Others to watch: Chaminade vs. University, Oct. 4, Nova; American Heritage at Hallandale, Oct. 5.
WEEK 7 – OCT. 12
Miramar at Boyd Anderson
• Comment: The three-week gauntlet for Miramar ends with a trip to face what should be a Boyd Anderson squad in the thick of the District 14-7A title race. The health of both teams at this point will determine this matchup of non-district foes.