Coach Al Golden reeled off the following five walk-ons as players he thought might make an impact on special teams:
• Receiver Garrett Kidd, a 6-2, 186-pound redshirt freshman from Midland, Mich., who earned Scout Team Player of the Week twice last season. At Herbert Henry Dow High School, he lettered two years in lacrosse, earning MVP honors in 2010.
• Running back Brandon Yosha, a 6-0, 183-pound freshman out of Cathedral High (Carmel, Ind.) who was voted a four-time Player of the Week for his 4A state champion team.
• Running back Darris Hughes, a 5-10, 195-pound sophomore out of Clewiston. He was a first-team All-State player at Clewiston.
• Snapper Sean McNally, a 5-10, 214-pound redshirt junior who transferred last year from Bakersfield Junior College, where punter Dalton Botts played.
• Linebacker Nantambu-Akil Fentress, a 5-9, 205-pound sophomore from Nashville. He had six tackles in seven games last season on special teams, earning a letter.
The Canes had a walk-through practice indoors Monday afternoon and will be back on the practice field Tuesday morning in preparation for Boston College.
SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN