Mexico keeps 12 police officers in jail in ambush of U.S. vehicle

 

McClatchy Newspapers

Mexican authorities on Monday ordered 12 federal police officers to remain jailed as a criminal probe deepened into why they ambushed a U.S. Embassy vehicle last week in a hail of bullets that left two Americans wounded.

Attorney General Marisela Morales said that a court had accepted a request that the officers be kept in jail for 40 days, a key step toward filing criminal charges.

“We are asking for this detention to have the time necessary to carry out an exhaustive investigation,” Morales said.

The detentions came in the ambush Friday of an armored Toyota SUV belonging to the U.S. Embassy. It was carrying two U.S. Embassy employees and a Mexican navy captain to a naval installation about 35 miles south of the capital. The embassy vehicle was cut off by another vehicle carrying armed men, who opened fire when the embassy vehicle tried to flee. At least three and possibly five other vehicles joined in the attack, according to Mexican news reports.

Only after reinforcements from the navy came did the federal police attack on the vehicle halt. Press reports said more than 50 bullets struck the embassy vehicle.

The two wounded Americans were hospitalized Friday in Mexico City, but their whereabouts and conditions were unknown Monday. The U.S. Embassy refused to comment. Last week, the embassy declined to identify the U.S. agency the two worked for or to say why they were traveling to the naval facility, which an embassy statement referred to as a training facility.

The ambush underscored possible criminal connections of the federal police, a force of some 35,000 officers that U.S. officials have helped vet and train as a key force against brutal organized gangs.

At least one of the 12 federal police officers detained appears to have received training from the United States. Francisco Humberto Segovia Dominguez, a 35-year-old native of southern Chiapas state, is mentioned in a U.S. diplomatic cable dated Nov. 18, 2008, as among officers approved for small arms and basic explosives training. The cable, obtained and released by WikiLeaks last year, said the embassy had “no credible evidence of gross violations of human rights” by Segovia or any other officer listed.

Morales did not specify what crimes the detained officers might eventually be charged with. She said the officers had not explained why they fired on a vehicle with diplomatic license plates that offered no threat, although Morales said some of the officers cited confusion, presumably over whether the vehicle carried gangsters.

“For the moment, no charge or line of question has been discarded,” she said, adding that prosecutors are in “total collaboration” with the Mexican navy and U.S. officials.

Except for a statement more than 12 hours after the shooting, the U.S. Embassy has remained silent, declining to provide a detailed account of what took place. Mexican authorities have also kept details of the attack largely secret.

Mexican news reports, though, say that many of the federal police were out of uniform and operating in unmarked vehicles when they carried out the initial attack and subsequent pursuit of the embassy vehicle, first on a dirt road, then on a two-lane highway leading to the resort city of Cuernavaca.

The area were the ambush took place has been in dispute between various powerful drug gangs, including remnants of the Beltran Leyva syndicate. The Proceso newsweekly said the U.S. Embassy vehicle was helping Mexican marines try to pinpoint Hector Beltran Leyva, a fugitive kingpin of the gang.

Lawyers for the detained police officers say their clients were on an undercover operation a day after a kidnapping in the area of a functionary from the National Institute of Anthropology. They did not explain why they fired on a vehicle with diplomatic license plates that offered no threat.

One lawyer, Marco Aurelio Gonzalez Flores, told Excelsior newspaper that he is worried that unfounded charges will be leveled against the officers because of the high-profile nature of the attack.

“They say that they might even charge them with international terrorism due to the pressure coming from foreigners,” he told the paper.

Email: tjohnson@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @timjohnson4

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this handout photo taken on Aug. 20, 2014, provided by the Savsjo municipality, Roy Gustafsson the co-founder of the Jonas Bronck Center, poses for a photograph outside the center in Savsjo, Sweden. The founder of The Bronx _ one of New York’s five boroughs _ is finally getting recognition in his native Sweden, where Jonas Bronck’s home town on Saturday will celebrate the 375th anniversary of his arrival in America.

    Swedish town celebrates link to the Bronx

    Nearly four centuries after Jonas Bronck set foot in America, his birthplace in southern Sweden is finally recognizing its historical link to the New York borough that bears his name.

  •  
FILE - In this Aug, 6, 2014 file picture defendant Beate Zschaepe , center, enters  the court room at the Higher Regional Court in Munich, Germany. Beate Zschaepe is accused of being a founding member of the far right National Socialist Underground (NSU) terror cell and faces charges of complicity in the murder of nine Turkish and Greek immigrants and a policewoman between 2000 and 2007  An official inquiry has concluded that police and security services in Germany bungled the hunt for three neo-Nazis who years later turned out to be the main suspects in a far-right murder spree. Lawmakers in the eastern state of Thuringia say efforts to find the fugitive trio after their disappearance in 1998 were a “complete disaster.” A 1,895-page report published Thursday Aug. 21, 2014 lists a string of errors by investigators who failed to follow up leads that could have led to the arrest of the group calling itself National Socialist Underground.

    Hunt for German neo-Nazis was 'complete disaster'

    An official inquiry has concluded that police and security services in Germany bungled the hunt for three neo-Nazis who years later turned out to be the main suspects in a far-right murder spree.

  •  
A yellow ribbon is tied to a tree outside the family home of freelance journalist James Foley, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014 in Rochester, N.H. Foley was abducted in November 2012 while covering the Syrian conflict. On Tuesday, Aug. 19, militants with the Islamic State extremist group released a video showing Islamic State militants beheading Foley in an act of revenge for U.S. airstrikes in northern Iraq .

    Reporter's death galvanizes anger, little action

    The killing of an American reporter is galvanizing international anger at Islamic State extremists and fueling fears about the flow of foreign fighters joining their ranks. But governments from the Mideast to Europe and even Washington appear uncertain about how to stop them.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category