Al Shabab flees Somali port of Merca ahead of African Union troops

 

McClatchy Newspapers

African Union and Somali soldiers captured another key town from Somalia’s al Qaida affiliate Monday, seizing the fishing port of Merca and boxing in the Islamist rebels even further in a steady military campaign aimed at capturing their last major stronghold, the port of Kismayo.

Al Shabab rebels, who once ruled much of Somalia under Taliban-style shariah law, had held Merca, a coastal town of white buildings and exotic Indian Ocean beaches about 45 miles south of Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital. Al Shabab merged earlier this year with al Qaida, but a variety of forces, including troops from Kenya and Ethiopia who invaded last year, have pushed it back.

Accounts from the town said al Shabab officials and fighters had fled south toward Kismayo three hours before the African Union troops arrived. Tensions were high in Merca now, residents said.

“We are worried about our security,” one resident, Nur Mohamed, said in a phone interview. “Everybody is staying inside his house. No one is moving outside. Businesses are closed.”

Officials of the Somali government in Mogadishu gloated over the news, proclaiming that al Shabab’s rule will soon be finished.

“Our troops are controlling the town. We captured it peacefully," said Abdukadir Mohamed Nur, the regional governor appointed by the federal government. "We have already planned our offensives. We have a good strategy, and our troops, backed by the AMISOM forces, will assure the control of Lower Shabelle region."

His statement referred to the African Union Mission in Somalia, the regional force composed mainly of Ugandan, Burundian and Kenyan troops.

No comments were available from al Shabab.

Troops from AMISOM, the Somali government and Kenya, whose forces invaded Somalia last year, have beaten back Al Shabab steadily over the past year . The capture of Merca now raises the likelihood that the Islamist rebels in Kismayo, 210 miles away, will face assault from multiple fronts, with seasoned Ugandan and Burundian forces attacking from the north and Kenyan troops attacking from the west.

Kenya had promised to capture Kismayo by the end of August, but the offensive has been delayed a number of times, most recently by negotiations with Ethiopia over who’ll rule the region afterward.

Boswell, who reported from Nairobi, and Ibrahim, who reported from Mogadishu, are McClatchy special correspondents. Boswell’s reporting is underwritten in part by a grant from Humanity United, a California-based foundation that focuses on human rights issues.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this February 18, 2014 photo, a construction worker is carried in a basket by a crane, as he works on a luxury tower, in Beirut, Lebanon. Beirut is no different than Dubai, Doha or other major world cities overtaken by a global trend for modern, tall buildings. But in a country that prides itself on its rich history, many complain that Lebanon is losing its charm and character, often said to be the only thing going for it.

    Construction frenzy in Beirut alters city skyline

    One by one, the old traditional houses of Beirut are vanishing as luxury towers sprout up on every corner, altering the city's skyline almost beyond recognition amid an ongoing construction frenzy seemingly immune to tensions from the civil war raging next door.

  •  
FILE - In this Jan. 29, 2004 file photo, former boxer, Rubin, "Hurricane" Carter, holds up the writ of habeas corpus that freed him from prison, during a news conference held in Sacramento, Calif. Carter, who spent almost 20 years in jail after twice being convicted of a triple murder he denied committing, died at his home in Toronto, Sunday, April 20, 2014, according to long-time friend and co-accused John Artis. He was 76.

    Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76

    Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the boxer whose wrongful murder conviction became an international symbol of racial injustice, died Sunday. He was 76.

  • Myanmar says 22 dead in Kachin fighting this month

    Fighting between government troops and ethnic rebels in Myanmar's northeastern state of Kachin has left at least 22 people dead this month, state-run media reported Sunday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category