The Dominican government kept ports closed Sunday and warned residents to stay off beaches. Authorities have detained at least 40 people near Santo Domingos boardwalk for failing to evacuate the area, local media reported. Authorities were still cleaning up debris left behind by Isaac and trying to restore power and telephone lines to at least 90 communities that are still cut off.
The government also warned residents along the banks of the Ozama River, which cuts through the capital, to be prepared to evacuate as continued rains were swelling the river.
In Cuba, state-run Prensa Latina news agency said there were no deaths but reported sporadic damage throughout the country. Local media said more than 20,000 had to flee their homes, most from the province of Holguín, after the storm cut through the eastern tip of the island.
Most of the damage was reportedly concentrated in the oldest and easternmost town of Baracoa, where at least 89 homes were damaged, including four that collapsed completely.
The eastern province of Tunas also suffered damaged roads. While power and phone lines went down on some parts of the island overnight, electricity had been restored to most neighborhoods Sunday, Prensa Latina reported.
In Havana, local media showed images of choppy seas pouring over the citys picturesque seawall.
As the storm headed toward Florida, Cubas Meteorological Institute warned that both the southern and northern coasts of the island would continue seeing dangerous swells for the next 12 to 24 hours.
In Haiti, some swollen rivers were receding as the rain finally stopped. In Jacmel, the sun came out shortly after 9 a.m. and residents took to the streets and their front yards, clearing fallen trees off their homes and out of roads with machetes and hand saws.
We are an unlucky people, said Cilia Duverge, who added that an earlier storm had swallowed her home and now Isaac had taken her farm. We cant catch a break.
Frantz Pierre-Louis, a government official who serves as executive director for the Southeastern region, said things could have been a lot worse.
What youre seeing is the result of the work weve been doing the past several years to sensitize the people, he said, commenting on the lack of a larger death toll.
As he surveyed the damage around him, including the eroded beach, his cell phone rang. It was shortly before 11 a.m., and his first contact with Belle Anse, the fishing community high in the mountains cut off by the collapsed road and rough seas.
On the other line: a government official from the area, who was now stranded.
Do not let people take boats, Pierre Louis warned.
Staff writer Jim Wyss contributed to this report.