Hey, Burn Notice. Having trouble with the city of Miami?
No sweat. Miami-Dade County is here to help.
Miami recently gave Burn Notice a tentative OK to continue filming at the Coconut Grove Convention Center. But after the seventh season wraps, the city plans to demolish the building to make way for a public park.
Should Burn Notice have an eighth season, Miami officials want the show to stay within city limits.
“There is a film and entertainment district in the city of Miami, and that’s where Burn Notice should stay,” said Miami Commissioner Marc Sarnoff, who supported the Coconut Grove park project but also advocates for the film industry.
County officials say there are other options.
On Tuesday, Miami-Dade Mayor Mayor Carlos Gimenez√ penned a letter to Fox Television Studios, extolling Burn Notice for creating “hundreds, if not thousands” of local jobs and broadcasting “beautiful images of South Florida to over 50 counties worldwide.”
After buttering up the producers, Gimenez wrote, “We are committed to being a ‘film-friendly’ county, and would like to assist if a transition to an alternative stage space is required. Our Office of Film and Entertainment has worked diligently in the past to assist Burn Notice with its logistical necessities, and is dedicated to locating and vetting alternative sits for stage space.”
This is all preliminary, of course. The show has yet to be picked up for a seventh season, let alone an eighth. But Fox Executive Bob Lemchen has said he’s scouted out other South Florida venues, and so far, none will do.
No word yet if he’ll consider Gimenez’s offer.