“Vickie Guerrero, she went out and entertained to the utmost. That’s what this job is going to entail. I have to go out and entertain the fans. I got to give them the best show on Friday night I possibly can give ‘em. Everybody knows the personality of Booker T. Everybody knows I’m a little offbeat sometimes. It’s going to be great. Friday Night SmackDown, you can look forward to some highly entertaining content.”
• Booker T already named former SmackDown G.M. Teddy Long as his senior adviser. Good move. Long’s invested a long career in the industry, working several jobs including manager and referee. Booker T plans to have an assistant, but it won’t be his queen, aka wife Sharmell.
“My queen right now is busy,” he said. “Kelly Rose and Kendrick James just turned 2-years-old [Aug. 5], so she’s busy. She’s got her hands full with the twins.
“SmackDown G.M., trust me, I’m going to be on the job. I’m going to be calling it down the middle. I’m not going to be pulling any punches. It’s going to be all about the show, giving the fans the best entertainment Booker T can bring.”
• Booker T did not want to critique A.J., Raw’s newest general manager, a young general manager at 25.
“I want to say good luck to A.J.,” he said. “As far as the way she handles it and how long she lasts, because it is a rough job, and she is so young, dealing with so many different personalities, it’s going to be hard just to keep it fresh.
“I always say it’s easy to get there, but it’s so, so much harder to stay there. So I just say good luck to A.J. on handling that situation.”
• Anyone on SmackDown you’d like to see get a shot to step it up?
“I don’t want to say to be biased or anything like that as far as I want this one to step up,” he said. “I think these guys are going to have step up. It’s up to them to step up.
“I’m going to be voicing my opinion [backstage], not just going to be some figurehead G.M. I want to voice my opinion as far as which guys I think are stepping up and which guys aren’t. So these guys are going to have to go out there and learn their craft. Otherwise, I’m going to be pushing for them taking a step a back, putting them on the backburner, to instead work with somebody else. These guys got to step up to the plate. They got to produce.”
• When not on the road for WWE, Booker T keeps busy with his PWA wrestling school and ROW promotion in Houston.
Booker T mentioned a new wrestler Ty from ROW as potential.
“My kid right now, my champion is Rockstar Robbie Gilmore,” Booker T said. “He’s a standout. He’s a kid who works behind the scenes tirelessly.
“Most of the people who just watch it. They don’t understand how hard it really is. That’s why I try to give background on who these kids really are and what they’re trying to do in this business.”
• SummerSlam is a week after the close of the Summer Olympics.
Booker T’s favorite Summer Olympics sport?
The 100-meter dash.
Booker T: “He was a thunderbolt. He was running. He was running hard. It was a good race.