Mariah Carey is heading to one of the judge’s seats on Fox’s American Idol next season, reportedly to the tune of $18 million for her critiquing skills. Some observers are already hoping she’ll bring a little more than that to the table, as Jennifer Lopez departs after two seasons. While J Lo was an astute judge of talent, the complaint was that she brought no pizzazz to the role, unlike predecessor Paula Abdul, who incidentally had less musical chops than the Latin star. Will Carey come through? Take this quiz of the trivial about her surprisingly lengthy, expansive career and come up with your own prediction:
1. In addition to her considerable pipes, Carey has some hawking of wares in her background. For what network did she perform that role?
C. Jewelry Television
2. The story of Carey’s discovery in 1987 as a major talent for a top recording label reads like the script of a Hollywood rom-com. Which film did she actually appear in for her Hollywood debut?
B. The Bachelor
3. Tommy Mottola, then-head of Columbia Records, is credited with helping to shape Carey’s musical career into superstar status, molding her to compete with other major labels’ divas Madonna and Whitney Houston. Columbia had a special project for her in 1994. What was it?
A. One Sweet Day
B. Music Box Tour
C. All I Want for Christmas Is You
D. When You Believe for The Prince of Egypt soundtrack
4. Any seasoned musical performer is bound to feel the pressure when singing the national anthem before a major sporting event. When Carey delivered it to critical acclaim for the Super Bowl, in which host city was that annual football tradition mounted?
A. San Diego
C. New Orleans
5. Carey also has the distinction of having performed at an inaugural ball following the swearing in of Barack Obama, the first U.S. president of African-American descent. Carey herself is of African-American ancestry through her father, who also has what other ethnicity?