A chemical fire started on the roof of the Hollywood Academy of Arts and Science Saturday morning when metal canisters filled with paint and primer were left on the roof in the summer sun, Hollywood police spokesman Joel Medina said.
Xylene, a chemical in the paint, was the catalyst that caused the paint to ignite.
After the fire was put out, the canisters continued to rise to temperatures over 120 degrees and emit fumes, Medina said. The Hollywood Hazardous Material team said the fumes were not harmful to residents of the area. The fumes were gone by Saturday evening.
The Environmental Protection Agencys Broward office said the fire and chemicals would not cause damages to the area around the school, Medina said.
A previous version of this article listed an incorrect name for the school.