Bomb attack kills 6 in Afghanistan’s Kapisa province

 

McClatchy Newspapers

Four police officers and two civilians were killed Monday when Taliban insurgents exploded a remote-controlled bomb in eastern Kapisa province, local officials said.

The blast – which occurred before midday at a bazaar in the town of Tagab, the capital of Kapisa’s Tagab district – also wounded 13 civilians, district police chief Col. Sher Shah Yousufzai said by phone from the scene. However, a statement by Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry put the number of wounded at 17. It said the dead included an Afghan Local Police commander and his son.

The wounded were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, the ministry’s statement said.

Security in some areas of Kapisa – which borders Kabul province, to the northeast of the Afghan capital – reportedly has deteriorated in recent months. Tagab is one of several insurgent strongholds in the province and the site of many attacks on Afghan government and foreign coalition forces.

French troops, who’ve had responsibility for security in Kapisa, are in the process of passing control to Afghan forces, and will be withdrawn by the end of the year. Four French soldiers were killed and five wounded in Kapisa’s Nirjab district earlier this month when a suicide bomber attacked a French patrol, also wounding three Afghan civilians.

In January, four French soldiers were shot dead by an Afghan counterpart at a joint French-Afghan base at Tagab. A fifth soldier later died of his injuries.

The January incident prompted France’s then-president, Nicolas Sarkozy, to move up the deadline for his troops’ departure from Afghanistan by one year, to the end of 2013. Francois Hollande, Sarkozy’s recently elected successor, pushed the withdrawal date up a second time, to the end of 2012, over opposition from the White House.

Also on Monday, the International Security Assistance Force, as the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan is formally known, said one of its service members had died of wounds after an insurgent attack in southern Afghanistan. The ISAF refused to provide details about the location of the attack or the nationality of the service member.

Separately, the ISAF said it had no confirmation of a report that two Italian soldiers were wounded Monday after their patrol in western Afghanistan was targeted by a homemade bomb.

Stephenson and Safi are McClatchy special correspondents.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Vietnam pulls out of hosting Asian Games

    Vietnam has withdrawn as the host of the 2019 Asian Games, saying it lacked funds and the country's reputation could be at risk if things don't go smoothly.

  •  
A vehicle from a funeral home is surrounded by journalists as it enters the home of the late Colombian Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez in Mexico City, Thursday, April 17, 2014. Garcia Marquez died on Thursday at his home.

    Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87

    Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez crafted intoxicating fiction from the fatalism, fantasy, cruelty and heroics of the world that set his mind churning as a child growing up on Colombia's Caribbean coast.

  •  
Pro-Russian activists gather at a seized police station with a banner reading "Donetsk Republic" in the eastern Ukrainian town of Slovyansk on Sunday, April 13, 2014.

    Ukraine deal reached; Russia agrees to de-escalate tensions

    The Obama administration will hold off on new sanctions against Russia as part of a deal struck Thursday that calls for Moscow to stand down outlaw militias and take other steps to restore calm to volatile eastern Ukraine.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category