NAVY BASE

Civilian worker found dead at Guantánamo

 

The man, who worked on landscaping around the 45-square-mile base, had lived at the remote outpost as a Defense Department contractor for more than three decades.

 
A view of the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, on May 5, 2012.
A view of the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, on May 5, 2012.
WALTER MICHOT / MIAMI HERALD

crosenberg@miamiherald.com

An American man who had worked for three decades at the U.S. Navy base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, was found dead in a construction site this week. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating the death as a suspected suicide.

The worker had nothing to do with the detention center at the remote base where the Pentagon holds some 169 foreign men as prisoners, a prison camps spokesman said.

The civilian man was described as “a contract employee with GCR, a subcontractor that handles the base landscaping,” said Navy base spokesman Terence Peck, in a short statement. He declined to provide the man’s name or age because NCIS “is currently conducting an investigation into the incident.”

The discovery of the body Monday at an abandoned structure in a housing area undergoing construction was the talk of the base, according to Guantánamo residents, in part because the man was widely recognized around the residential areas as a supervisor of the landscaping crews. And because he had been a long-time civilian resident, who first got work at the remote outpost in 1978.

The man’s body was discovered on Monday, according to Peck’s statement.

About 2,000 civilians work and live at the 45-square-mile base that straddles Guantánamo Bay, the vast majority of them foreigners hired by Defense Department contractors as laborers.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category