New question arises over validity of Egypt election even as results are confirmed

 

McClatchy Newspapers

Egypt’s election commission on Monday released the final vote tallies in this country's first democratic election, confirming that next month’s runoff will be between a Muslim Brotherhood-backed candidate and a top leader from the deposed regime.

But even as the commission released the numbers from last week’s two-day vote, uncertainty continued to plague the election process, as it remains unclear whether one of the candidates, former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafik, will be constitutionally allowed to run.

In all, Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohammed Morsi earned 5,764,952 votes while Shafik garnered 5,505,327 votes – a difference between the top two candidates of just under 260,000 ballots. Arab nationalist Hamdeem Sabahi, who enjoyed a surge of support in the final days of the election, came in third with 4,820,273 votes – just under 950,000 ballots off the pace. Of Egypt’s 50 million eligible voters, 46 percent participated, the commission said.

The commission said it found minor election infractions, but not enough to affect the outcome. In announcing the results, the commission, headed by a deposed Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak appointee, spelled out the steps it had taken to check for irregularities. The commission has tried repeatedly to reassure a dubious public that it is impartial and not an extension of the current ruling military council.

The two front runners already have begun campaigning in hopes of winning the support of voters who’d backed other candidates, including revising some of their most controversial positions. In the first round, Shafik unapologetically had boasted of his ties to the regime, and Morsi promised to implemented a strict interpretation of sharia law. But since Friday, when results began trickling out of the governorates, both have run toward the center, promising unity, moderate rule and consensus-based government.

Shafik’s candidiacy still faces a hurdle, however. Egypt’s Supreme Constitutional Court has yet to rule on the validity of legislation passed earlier this year by the Brotherhood-dominated Parliament that barred former members of Mubarak’s government from running for office. Shafik, Mubarak’s last prime minister, initially had been disqualified from running, but the election commission reversed that decision later, pending the constitutional court ruling.

If the court finds the law is valid, some believe Egypt must hold another election. The court has not said when it will make its ruling and on Monday, the commission refused to tell voters how it would respond to such a ruling.

“When the constitutional court makes it ruling, the law will be applied,” said Farouk Sultan, the election commission chairman, refusing to provide additional comment. Sultan should know better than most what the effect of a ruling upholding the law would be; he is on loan to the election commission from the constitutional court, where he was chairman.

Regardless, losing candidates pounced Monday, saying the uncertainty was one of many reasons there should be a new election.

“I said before that I will accept the result of the elections no matter who wins if the elections are free and fair, but I will not acknowledge the results of those elections,” said moderate Islamist candidate Abdel Moneim Aboul Fotouh hours before the results were released. “I will not participate in deceiving the Egyptian people.”

McClatchy special correspondent Amina Ismail contributed to this report.

Email: nyoussef@mcclatchydc.com Twitter: @nancyayoussef

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Taiwan explosions probe focuses on petrochem firm

    Authorities in Taiwan's second-biggest city were focusing on a petrochemical firm Saturday in their investigation into a series of gas pipeline explosions that killed 27 people and injured 267.

  • Landslide blocks Nepal river; 8 people die

    A massive landslide killed at least eight people and blocked a mountain river in northern Nepal, causing the water to form a lake that threatens to burst and sweep several villages, officials said Saturday.

  •  
Chinese nationals evacuated from Libya carry their baggage after arriving at a port of Piraeus, near Athens, Greece, on Saturday, Aug. 2, 2014. A Greek navy frigate carrying embassy staff and nearly 200 people from Greece, China and other countries evacuated from the conflict in Libya returned early Saturday to the port near Athens. The Greek Defense Ministry the ship transported 77 people from Greece, 78 from China, 10 from Britain, seven from Belgium, one each from Russia and Albania.

    Greek frigate returns after Libya evacuation

    A Greek navy frigate carrying embassy staff and nearly 200 people from Greece, China and other countries evacuated from the conflict in Libya returned early Saturday to a port near Athens.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category