War court

Prosecutors urge Guantánamo judge not to split up 9/11 trial

 

The war court prosecutor says early pre-trial scheduling conflicts don’t necessitate splitting up the trial of five men accused of orchestrating the Sept. 11 attacks.

crosenberg@miamiherald.com

Pentagon prosecutors argued in a motion Thursday against splitting up the joint death-penalty prosecution at Guantánamo of the five men accused of orchestrating the 9/11 attacks.

The chief war court judge, Army Col. James L. Pohl, sought the opinion last week after encountering scheduling conflicts for a motions hearing scheduled for June 12-15 at the U.S. Navy base in southeast Cuba. It was to be the first hearing following the marathon, 13-hour May 5 arraignment of alleged mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed and four other alleged accomplices in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

But the criminal defense attorney for Mohammed notified the court he cannot get to Cuba on June 12 because he’s representing a convicted killer facing execution by lethal injection on that same day in Boise, Idaho.

Three other Sept. 11 defense teams agreed to the delay. But the attorney for a Saudi man charged in the conspiracy argued he was prepared to go forward with the June 12 hearing, creating a conundrum for the war court’s so-called "speedy trial clock."

The 9/11 prosecutors wrote in a court filing Thursday that early scheduling conflicts in the death penalty did not necessitate splitting the five-man prosecution.

"Severance of this jointly-referred capital commission would be an extraordinary action that should not be regarded by the military judge as ‘appropriate relief’ in these circumstances," the prosecution wrote, in an extract obtained by The Miami Herald.

The filing itself was under seal undergoing a security review, which at the war court gives intelligence agencies up to 15 business days to scrub military commissions documents filed with the military commissions clerk.

The Pentagon spokesman for Guantánamo issues, Army Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale, would not provide a comment on the prosecution position.

Prosecutors also argued in their brief that "no defense counsel or accused" had sought a speedy trial. Nor had any of the alleged Sept. 11 plotters "articulated any prejudice that any accused might suffer by proceeding jointly."

Rather, the prosecution wrote that the Pohl, as presiding judge, has the authority to delay the scheduled June 12-15 session "to accommodate reasonable scheduling issues of defense counsel." Or, they wrote, he could order the delay "in the interest of justice."

Defense attorneys for the Sept. 11 accused have until May 31 to respond.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category