Colombians say Secret Service sex scandal tarnishes nation’s image, but blame U.S. men

 

McClatchy Newspapers

Surrounded by wall-mounted flat screens playing continuous deafening music videos, male patrons at La Dolce Vita nightclub face rows of young women in high heels and miniskirts sitting or standing by the bar, some swaying to the salsa songs.

The women generally do not approach the men sitting at tables in the middle of the dark room, but occasionally one of the men stands up and asks one or more of the women to join him.

Then they order drinks and discuss business. Vicky, a 20-year-old clad in a mini-dress with large polka dots, offered sex for $120 per hour at a man’s hotel.

Hundreds of similar offers occur every night at dozens of nightclubs in this international resort on Colombia’s Caribbean coast 409 miles northwest of Bogotá, the capital. But La Dolce Vita, at the corner of First Street and Adm. Brión Avenue, sits one block from the Hotel Caribe, the epicenter of a mushrooming prostitution scandal involving 12 U.S. Secret Service agents and 11 members of the U.S. armed forces.

Previously 10 armed forces personnel were said to be involved, but on Friday a U.S. Southern Command spokesman in Miami said 11 military men were being investigated: six from the Army, two from the U.S. Marine Corps, two from the Navy and one from the Air Force.

The military men and the Secret Service agents were part of advance teams to prepare President Barack Obama’s visit to attend the Summit of the Americas April 14.

Dania Suárez, a 24-year-old single mother, helped trigger the scandal when she complained loudly in a hallway of the Hotel Caribe early on April 12 that a Secret Service agent staying there failed to pay her the $800 sex fee. He only offered $30.

While Vicky and other women said early Saturday that the Americans did not pick up women at La Dolce Vita, they defended Suárez because prostitution is a legal way to make a living for young women who work day jobs in offices and stores or attend school.

Two percent of young female college students in Cartagena moonlight as escorts and prostitutes, according to a study from the University of San Buenaventura quoted in Friday’s edition of the Cartagena newspaper El Universal, which also published pictures of Suárez in a bikini.

Though many here fear the scandal may further tarnish Colombia’s image, one unifying strand in the local fallout of the sordid scandal was that many Cartageneros, as local residents are known in Spanish, view the agent as the villain for trying to stiff a young woman who is only seeking to feed her 9-year-old son.

“This is all legal,” said Vicky, the only one of the women at La Dolce Vita willing to talk at length. “This was the fault of the man who didn’t pay.”

Her view was echoed by more than a dozen other local residents interviewed on the streets of Cartagena Saturday as the city continues to reel from the scandal.

“The women were just trying to make a living,” said Melissa Frasser, a bank manager from Bogotá who talked while sipping a drink and sunning herself on a beach across from the Hotel Caribe. Frasser was here for the weekend.

In the end, she added, the more “negative impact will be on the reputation of the Secret Service, not Cartagena, since prostitution happens everywhere.”

Perhaps one of the most intriguing elements in the incident the morning Suárez complained was that one or more Cartagena police officers who responded to the hotel interceded on her behalf to elicit payment.

A police officer interviewed Saturday at a police substation across from the hotel, from where responding officers likely came, said he doubted the officers’ priority that morning was to help the woman get paid.

“I believe the officers were trying to defuse the situation,” said the policeman, who asked that his name not be published because he was not authorized to speak on the issue. “If he tried to get the man to pay that was because he saw payment as a requirement to control the situation, not because as a policy we help prostitutes get paid. That is between them and the clients.”

Beyond whether Suárez should have been paid, Cartageneros had varied opinions on the scandal’s impact. The consensus was that the scandal is bad because it may add another stain to Colombia’s reputation as a drug-trafficking and criminal hub.

“Now tourists will have more fears,” said Elizabeth Sandoval, 32, a worker in a shopping mall where La Dolce Vita is located.

Marcela Romero, 27, who runs a small Internet café near La Dolce Vita, said her main fear was that from now on foreign tourists will equate Colombian women with prostitutes.

“I have a friend who is a nurse and she is dating a man who lives in Alaska,” said Romero. “She told me Friday that she now fears that her boyfriend may change his mind about her because of the scandal.”

She also recounted how during a taxi ride one day last week, the driver complained when he saw a Colombian woman walking alongside a tall, blonde man.

“He said, ‘If I see my daughter with a foreigner I will disown her,’ and I said to myself, ‘Wow, nothing like that was said here before the scandal.’”

Within Cartagena’s colonial section, hordes of foreign tourists took in the sights Saturday led by tour guides. Some stood in front of the Tu Candela at Plaza de los Coches taking pictures of the nightclub whose name has been mentioned in connection with the scandal.

Among the tourists Saturday was a couple from New York, Rob Coppersmith and Mary Manaker, who had booked their vacation trip before the scandal broke.

“Before the scandal, many of our friends had trouble locating where we were going,” said Manaker. “But now people have no trouble understanding where Cartagena is and who was involved.”

On a beach near the colonial section, Gregorio Caraballo, 62, who rents umbrellas and chairs to beachgoers, hoped the scandal will eventually fade.

“People should look beyond what happened and see that Cartagena has an old history and is a city that by and large is peaceful and healthy.”

(Chardy reports for the Miami Herald.)

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Malaysia Airlines flight MH192 bound for Bangalore turned back towards and parked at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, Malaysia, Monday, April 21, 2014, after its right landing gear malfunctioned upon takeoff. The airline says Flight 192 carrying 166 people landed safely at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport early Monday, four hours after it departed.

    Sub search for missing jet two-thirds complete

    As the search continued off the coast of Australia for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet on Monday, the airline announced another plane bound for India was forced to make an emergency landing after one of its tires burst on takeoff.

  •  
FILE - In this Nov. 30, 2004 file photo,  Pope John Paul II gives his blessing to late father Marcial Maciel, founder of Christ's Legionaries, during a special audience the pontiff granted to about four thousand participants of the Regnum Christi movement, at the Vatican. Pope John Paul II is rightly credited with having helped bring down communism, of inspiring a new generation of Catholics with a globe-trotting papacy and of explaining church teaching on a range of hot-button issues as Christianity entered its third millennium. But the sexual abuse scandal that festered under his watch remains a stain on his legacy. John Paul and his top advisers failed to grasp the severity of the abuse problem until very late in his 26-year papacy, even though U.S. bishops had been petitioning the Holy See since the late-1980s for a faster way to defrock pedophile priests.

    John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal

    Pope John Paul II is rightly credited with having helped bring down communism, of inspiring a new generation of Catholics with a globe-trotting papacy and of explaining church teaching on a range of hot-button issues as Christianity entered its third millennium.

  •  
South Korean rescue team members on a boat sail to rescue missing passengers believed to have been trapped in the sunken ferry Sewol near the buoys which were installed to mark the vessel in the water off the southern coast near Jindo, south of Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, April 20, 2014. After more than three days of frustration and failure, divers on Sunday finally found a way into the submerged ferry off South Korea's southern shore, discovering more than a dozen bodies inside the ship and pushing the confirmed death toll to over four dozen, officials said.

    SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'

    South Korean President Park Geun-hye said Monday that the captain and some crew members of the sunken ferry committed "unforgivable, murderous behavior" in the disaster, which left more than 300 people dead or missing.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category