Staff Sgt. Robert Bales formally charged in Afghanistan massacre

 

McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — The U.S. military on Friday formally charged Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales with 17 counts of premeditated murder, meaning the 38-year-old soldier could face the death penalty if convicted of a March 11 rampage in southern Afghanistan.

The military also said for the first time that nine children were killed and four were wounded in the early morning incident in southern Kandahar province. Their ages were unspecified and the manner of their deaths wasn't released, nor was any motive for the killings, which have shocked Americans and Afghans alike and raised new challenges for an orderly U.S. exit from the decade-long war in Afghanistan.

Bales, married and a father of two, was also charged with the premeditated murder of four women and four men, and with attempting to kill two others. The dead died of gunshot wounds, and the charging document said that wounded were shot in the neck, chest, thigh and groin.

Bales was informed of the charges against him at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where he's been held since March 16, officials said. The next phase of his case will be what is called an Article 32 hearing — the equivalent of a preliminary hearing in a civilian court — which will take place at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, south of Tacoma, Wash., where Bales has been based for the past decade.

Under military rules, that hearing, where an investigating officer will determine whether there's sufficient evidence to bring Bales to trial, must take place within 120 days of his arrest, which was March 11. The military court can, however, add to that time based on lawyers' requests.

It was unclear whether the trial, if it takes place, would also be held at Lewis-McChord.

Military officials said little else about the case. The official account is that Bales left his outpost in the Panjway district of Kandahar in the early hours of March 11, carrying his service weapon, and that when he returned civilians had been killed in two nearby villages.

If convicted of premeditated murder, the charging document released Friday said that Bales could face a mandatory minimum sentence of life imprisonment, with eligibility for parole.

The document noted that the veteran of three tours in Iraq before being deployed to Afghanistan in December earned $3,243.30 a month, not quite $39,000 a year.

Bales' civilian attorney, John Henry Browne of Seattle, has said that his client remembers very little about the time during which the military has said the incident took place and that his mental state could be an issue at the trial. Browne said Friday that Bales was suffering from memory problems prior to March 11 because of a "serious" concussion that wasn't treated, although he didn't elaborate.

"This is going to be a very difficult case for the government to prove, in my opinion," Browne told CBS News.

Browne also told Seattle radio station KOMO Friday that he believed the case wouldn't go to trial for two years.

It will be nearly three years before the lone suspect in the deadly November 2009 shootings at Fort Hood, Texas, stands trial. Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan is expected to face trial starting in June.

(Adam Lynn of The News Tribune of Tacoma, Wash., contributed.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

After Bales' arrest, military tried to delete him from Web

Murder case against U.S. soldier presents challenges for prosecutors

Congress airs differences on when to exit from Afghanistan

For more international news visit McClatchy's Afghanistan page.

McClatchy Newspapers 2012

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this Friday, July 4, 2014 photo, Protestant priest Gregor Hohberg, Rabbi Tovia Ben-Chorin and Imam Kadir Sanci, from left, show a model of the planned prayer and education building House of One prior to an interview with The Associated Press in Berlin. House of One will house a synagogue, a Christian church and a mosque.

    Interfaith house of prayer to be built in Berlin

    A rabbi, an imam and a priest start praying together under the same roof. It may sound like the start of a joke, but hopes are high it will become reality in Berlin.

  • Japan names islets in disputed area, around nation

    Japan says it will give names to five uninhabited islands as part of a group in the East China Sea, a move likely to spark anger from other claimants China and Taiwan.

  • Japan provides Vietnam with 6 vessels

    Japan says it will provide Vietnam six vessels as part of a grant aid package that will boost Hanoi's maritime security patrol capacity at a time the country is locked in a territorial standoff with China in the South China Sea.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category