Mexico acts to toughen law against attacks on journalists

 

McClatchy Newspapers

MEXICO CITY — The Mexican Senate Tuesday approved a constitutional amendment that would make attacks on journalists a federal crime, responding to growing pressure on news gatherers in a country where 48 journalists have been slain or have disappeared under suspicious circumstances in the last five years.

Free press advocates hailed the action as crucial to protecting the flow of information in a country where no one in recent years has been convicted of attacks against reporters. That air of impunity has turned some parts of the country into virtual news black holes as journalists, fearing for their lives, refuse to report on organized crime and violence.

The measure, which senators approved 95-0, was passed four months ago by the Mexican Congress' lower chamber. Now, more than half of Mexico's state legislatures must endorse it before it becomes part of the country's constitution.

"This is a legislative milestone that has been years in the making," Joel Simon, executive director of the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists, an advocacy group that lobbied for its passage, said in a written statement.

Since President Felipe Calderon came to office in late 2006, homicide rates have soared from organized crime and deployment of federal police and army troops to fight gangs. So did threats and slayings of journalists and armed attacks on newsrooms.

A special prosecutor appointed in 2010 to investigate crimes against journalists, Gustavo Salas Chavez, brought charges in 25 cases but failed to win a single conviction. Press advocates criticized him for not providing adequate protection to reporters who received threats despite having a budget to do so.

On Feb. 14, Laura Borbolla Moreno, a career prosecutor, replaced Salas.

The majority of threats against journalists appear to come from local and state officials and law enforcement authorities, many with links to organized crime.

Since state courts generally handle murder cases, those behind threats against journalists easily thwarted investigations, said Cynthia Cardenas, legal adviser in Mexico to Article 19, a London-based group that promotes freedom of expression.

Only a month or so ago, it looked like the amendment to let federal authorities take over prosecution of crimes against the media had fallen into limbo. What gave it impetus now is unclear, but some advocates said Calderon realized failure to win passage could harm his legacy.

"The political cost of not approving a law to protect journalists is very high, and this is the reason the measure is moving forward," Cardenas said.

Mexicans vote July 1 for a new president and Congress, and campaign season is beginning. Calderon cannot run for re-election.

Calderon had promised delegations from the Committee to Protect Journalists in 2008 and again in 2010 that he would push to make attacks on the news media a federal crime.

Journalists came under even greater siege in 2011. An estimated 19 journalists fled their states for safer regions of Mexico last year, Cardenas said.

In areas where besieged journalists have been frightened into silence, Mexicans have often turned to social media — Facebook and Twitter — to keep informed of roadblocks, shootouts, beheadings and other mayhem. But efforts to gag users of social media have come from both state government and crime bosses.

Lawmakers in Veracruz and Tabasco states enacted laws last year against social media users who create "alarm" or perturb public order.

Along the border with Texas, the Zetas crime group is believed to have slain at least four people last fall that it claimed posted information about security issues on the Internet. Two of the victims were hung from a bridge in the city of Nuevo Laredo.

Press advocates said they expected little difficulty in gaining approval of states for the amendment's enactment. But further framework legislation is needed, analysts said, and without it attorneys for those accused in attacks on journalists would have legal grounds to prevent prosecution at the federal level.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Along Mexico border, drug taint on politicians lingers

In Tijuana, a new calm delights - and mystifies

Pot-smuggling tunnels in Tijuana grow more elaborate

Mexico town takes a monetary path less traveled

Check out this McClatchy blog: Mexico Unmasked

Follow Tim Johnson on Twitter

McClatchy Newspapers 2012

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Shiite militiamen patrol in Amirli, 105 miles (170 kilometers) north of Baghdad, Iraq, Sunday, Aug. 31, 2014. Iraqi security forces and Shiite militiamen on Sunday broke a six-week siege imposed by the Islamic State extremist group on the northern Shiite Turkmen town of Amirli, following U.S. airstrikes against the Sunni militants' positions, officials said.

    UN diplomats examine Islamic State alleged crimes

    The U.N.'s top human rights body is being asked to investigate the alleged crimes against civilians committed by the Islamic State group in its rampage across northeastern Syria and northern and western Iraq.

  • UK to propose controversial anti-terror laws

    Britain's prime minister is expected to expand powers to combat terrorism in hopes of preventing attacks by Islamist militants returning for terror training in the Middle East.

  •  
A French fireman and his dog search in the rubble of a building after an explosion collapsed it, in Rosny-sous-Bois, outside Paris, Sunday, Aug. 31, 2014. French authorities say a four-story building in a northeastern Paris suburb has collapsed after an explosion, killing a child. More people are thought to underneath the rubble. Speaking on i-Tele, fire department spokesman Gabriel Plus said around 10 people were evacuated from the building in Rosny-sous-bois that occurred early Sunday morning. Plus said that around another 10 people could still be underneath the rubble, and emergency teams were working hard to rescue people who might be trapped. "We could still find living victims in the hours to come," he said. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has arrived at the scene, but couldn't confirm a theory that the explosion was caused by a gas leak.

    Paris suburb building blast death toll reaches 7

    The death toll in the partial collapse of a four-story apartment building has risen to seven in a northeastern Paris suburb after emergency crews pulled the body of an elderly woman from the rubble.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category