Explosion kills 6 British troops in Afghanistan

 

McClatchy Newspapers

KABUL, Afghanistan — Six British soldiers were believed to be killed when an explosion struck their armored vehicle, marking the biggest loss of life for British forces in Afghanistan in years, officials in London said Wednesday.

The explosion a day earlier in the southern province of Helmand figured to renew calls for an earlier withdrawal from Afghanistan for international forces, which have faced increasing violence as they try to hand security responsibilities to Afghan forces before the end of 2014.

British Prime Minister David Cameron called it a "desperately sad day for our country," which has now lost 404 soldiers in the Afghan war, the highest death toll for a coalition country after the United States, which has lost 1,909 service members, according to the website icasualties.org.

The British defense ministry said in a statement that the soldiers were carrying out a patrol and that they were missing and presumed dead, indicating that coalition forces hadn't yet been able to retrieve the bodies. The BBC reported that initial assessments of the explosion said it had been carried out by the Taliban.

It was the deadliest incident involving British troops since 2006, when a plane crash killed 14 service members during an operation in southern Afghanistan.

Separately, in the neighboring province of Kandahar, a suicide bomber riding a motorbike set off his explosives Wednesday at a crowded marketplace, killing four civilians including two children, local officials said.

The mid-morning attack at Spin Boldak, on Afghanistan's border with Pakistan, also wounded eight people including a border policeman, said Javel Faisal, a spokesman for the Kandahar provincial government.

"Most of the victims were passengers travelling between Afghanistan and Pakistan," said Faisal. "There were no foreign soldiers nearby." He said the wounded were rushed to a hospital in Spin Boldak.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the blast, which bore the hallmarks of a Taliban attack. Kandahar province is the birthplace of the Taliban movement and has long been one of the most restive areas of Afghanistan.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai described the incident as "a terrorist attack" carried out by the enemies of Afghanistan, and said it was "an act against both Islam and humanity."

Marine Gen. John R. Allen, commander of the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan, said in a statement that "the blatant murdering of Afghan civilians" must stop.

"The Taliban leadership needs to hold their own members accountable for their actions against the innocent," Allen said.

(Stephenson is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

2 Afghans killed in bombing at base where U.S. soldiers burned Quran

5 U.S. soldiers responsible in Afghan Quran burnings

2 more U.S. soldiers killed by Afghan partners

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Afghanistan and Pakistan page.

McClatchy Newspapers 2012

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Geneva Statement on Ukraine

    The Geneva meeting on the situation in Ukraine agreed on initial concrete steps to de-escalate tensions and restore security for all citizens.

  • Gulf Arab states strike new deal to heal rifts

    The Western-allied Arab states of the Gulf Cooperation Council said Thursday the bloc has agreed on the mechanisms to implement a security pact, marking a possible first step toward bridging deep rifts among its six energy-rich states.

  • Dutch man's case may be linked to Amanda Todd

    Dutch prosecutors have filed indecent assault and child pornography charges against a 35-year-old man suspected of blackmailing underage girls to perform sexual acts in front of a webcam.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category