2 Afghans killed in bombing at base where U.S. soldiers burned Quran

 

McClatchy Newspapers

KABUL, Afghanistan — Two Afghan civilians were killed and four wounded on Monday when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives at the entrance to the U.S.-run Bagram Air Base, where Qurans were burned by U.S. soldiers last month, local officials said.

"Two boys aged 14 and 15 were killed and four laborers were wounded," said Ayub Salangi, the governor of Parwan province, where the base is located.

Salangi said he had no information about casualties among the U.S. and international forces that use the base. A spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan, the International Security Assistance Force, confirmed there was an explosion outside the base but said that the cause of the explosion was unclear and that there were no reports of coalition fatalities.

"We have no operational information about breaches to the compound," said the spokesman, Brig. Gen. Carsten Jacobsen.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said was carried out by a "holy warrior" in revenge for the recent burning of Qurans and other religious materials at Bagram.

The Feb. 21 incident angered many Afghans and sparked nationwide demonstrations that left at least 30 dead and more than 100 wounded, and seriously complicated U.S. plans to work closely with Afghan forces before handing security responsibilities over to them.

A Pentagon investigation last week found five soldiers responsible in the incident. U.S. officials have stressed that the incident was inadvertent, and there was no indication that the soldiers had violated military laws, but Pentagon officials were still determining whether they will face disciplinary action.

Afghanistan's Islamic Clerics Council responded Friday by condemning the Quran burnings as a "satanic act" that was unforgiveable. It said in a statement that those responsible should be publicly tried and punished.

In a separate suicide attack Monday in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, one Afghan intelligence officer was killed and 11 people wounded, including eight civilians, the Ministry of Interior said.

A suicide bomber approached a checkpoint in the center of the city where security personnel were checking vehicles for illegal weapons, and his explosive vest detonated, according to Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, the spokesman for Nangarhar's provincial governor.

(Safi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

5 U.S. soldiers responsible in Afghan Quran burnings

2 more U.S. soldiers killed by Afghan partners

Violence suggests 'Afghans hate us, and we don't trust them'

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Afghanistan and Pakistan page.

McClatchy Newspapers 2012

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
FILE --  In this Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011 file photo, a part of Arak heavy water nuclear facilities is seen, near the central city of Arak, 150 miles (250 kilometers) southwest of the capital Tehran, Iran. Iranian state television reported on Saturday, April, 19, 2014 that Vice President Ali Akbar Salehi has said a dispute between world powers and the country over its heavy water reactor at Arak has been “virtually resolved.” Iran and world powers are negotiating the terms of a permanent deal over its contested nuclear program.

    Report: Next Iran nuclear talks to be in New York

    Iran's state news agency is reporting that the next round of expert-level talks over its contested nuclear program will be held in New York.

  •  
South Korean Coast Guard police officers on a boat check the bodies of passengers believed to have been trapped in the sunken ferry Sewol in the water off the southern coast near Jindo, south of Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, April 20, 2014. After more than three days of frustration and failure, divers on Sunday finally found a way into the submerged ferry off South Korea's southern shore, discovering more than a dozen bodies inside the ship and pushing the confirmed death toll to over four dozen, officials said.

    Transcript of SKorea ship sinking: 'We can't move'

    The following is a portion of the transcript released Sunday by the South Korean coast guard of the conversation between the ferry that sank Wednesday and the Jindo Vessel Traffic Services Center (VTS) on Jindo island. The ferry Sewol issued its distress call to another VTS center before these communications began. The Associated Press translated the transcript from Korean. The names of other ships included in the transcript are omitted at the request of South Korean authorities.

  • Abdullah's lead grows in new Afghan vote results

    New partial results in Afghanistan's presidential election released Sunday show candidate Abdullah Abdullah is still the front-runner, though a runoff election looks likely.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category