War court

Pentagon charges former U.S. resident at Guantánamo in terror plot

 

The Pentagon’s war crimes prosecutor proposes to put a graduate of a suburban Baltimore high school now detained at Guantánamo on trial for attempting to kill Pakistan’s president and conspiring to blow up gas stations.

Similar stories:

crosenberg@miamiherald.com

The Pentagon Tuesday announced it had charged a suburban Baltimore high school graduate now at Guantánamo with conspiring to commit terror attacks on U.S. soil and serving as an al-Qaida courier after the 9/11 attacks.

The prosecution of Majid Khan, who was scooped up in Pakistan and disappeared into the CIA’s secret overseas prison network, is the first war court case entirely initiated during the administration of President Barack Obama.

It seeks life imprisonment, not military execution, in a charge sheet that portrays Khan, now 31, as a willing foot soldier for radical Islam. He allegedly recorded a martyr’s message and donned an explosive vest in a 2002 attempt to kill Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf at a mosque. The attack failed because Musharraf never arrived.

Pakistani authorities arrested Khan the next year and turned him over to the United States, which held and interrogated him out of reach of the International Committee of the Red Cross until President George W. Bush had him sent to the U.S. Navy base in southeast Cuba in September 2006 for a war crimes trial.

Khan’s case is an unusual one for the Guantánamo war court. He’s a fluent English speaker whose family moved from his native Pakistan in 1996, in time for him to graduate from an American high school and work at the family’s gas station outside of Baltimore.

The last known photos of him before his capture show a clean-shaven young man waving a diploma and donning a mortar board. His Guantánamo intelligence file photo, released by WikiLeaks last year, shows a bushy bearded adult with a receding hairline. He’s one of just two known former legal U.S. residents now held at Guantánamo.

Part of his charge sheet alleges he conspired with confessed 9/11 attack planner Khalid Sheik Mohammed, also at Guantánamo, to blow up gasoline stations on U.S. soil.

Khan was married and living in Pakistan at the time of his arrest. He had allegedly traveled back to the United States on his green card after the Sept. 11 attacks at Mohammed’s behest and allegedly couriered $50,000 to Bangkok that was funneled to an al-Qaida affiliate that blew up the J.W. Marriott Hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia, in August 2003, killing 11 and wounding 81 others.

He is defended by the Center for Constitutional Rights, CCR, whose lawyers have filed an unlawful detention suit claiming Khan was tortured.

“Majid is doing well considering these challenging circumstances," CCR attorney Wells Dixon and Katya Jestin of Jenner & Block said in a statement Tuesday night.

“We are reviewing the charges, and will represent Majid throughout this process.”

In 2008, the New York civil liberties firm released portions of letters from Khan describing himself as an innocent, one-time U.S. resident who paid $2,400 a month in U.S. taxes and who was caught in a “’big mistake” by the CIA.

“I ask you to give me justice,” one letter said, “in the name of what U.S.A. once stood for and in the name of what Thomas Jefferson fought for ... allow me a chance to prove that I am innocent.”

His Pentagon defense lawyer is Army Lt. Col. Jon Jackson, who declined comment Tuesday night. Jackson is a military commissions veteran, who last year orchestrated a plea deal for since confessed Canadian war criminal Omar Khadr, 25, Guantánamo’s youngest war on terror captive.

Read more In the Courts stories from the Miami Herald

  • US SUPREME COURT

    Justices reject Padilla, Guantánamo appeals

    The U.S. Supreme Court declined to take up any of seven Guantánamo detainee cases, and also refused to reinstate a lawsuit by former ‘enemy combatant’ Jose Padilla against former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

  • War court

    Pentagon charges former U.S. resident at Guantánamo in terror plot

    The Pentagon’s war crimes prosecutor proposes to put a graduate of a suburban Baltimore high school now detained at Guantánamo on trial for attempting to kill Pakistan’s president and conspiring to blow up gas stations.

  • WAR COURT

    Guantánamo judge won’t subpoena Yemeni leader

    The chief military commissions judge refused a defense request to order Yemen’s embattled leader, now in New York for medical treatment, to undergo war court questioning in the USS Cole bombing case.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category