WLRN Session Reports
Read more Political Currents stories from the Miami Herald
While lawmakers should get to Gov. Rick Scott’s $500 million goal for cutting taxes and fees, they likely will take a different approach on some of the details.
Gov. Rick Scott: "Gov. Askew served our nation as a veteran, he served Florida's families as an elected officeholder, and he served our children as an educator. He helped lead Florida to enormous growth and was a trailblazer for good government. His advocacy for Florida's sunshine laws was a landmark moment for ethics and transparency in government, and that legacy continues to endure. His accomplishments were vast, but he remained humble and took his commitment to public service seriously. Gov. Askew strove to make life better for all of Florida's families, and that dedication is an example for all who followed in his footsteps. Ann and I mourn his passing and our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Donna Lou, and his entire family."
He was a transformational figure in the modern history of Florida, a champion of open government and the first governor to serve two successive four-year terms.
More Political Currents
- Vehicle registration fee rollback nears passage
- What people are saying in memory of former Gov. Reubin Askew
- Congress clears bill to ease flood insurance hikes
- Former Fla. Gov. Reubin Askew, 85, hospitalized
- Former Florida Gov. Reubin Askew dies at 85
- Common Core opponents put pressure on Gov. Rick Scott
VIDEO FROM OUR PARTNERS