Alleged USS Cole bomber Nashiri faces Guantanamo war court

 

The Miami Herald

An alleged al Qaida chieftain facing a death-penalty trial was brought before an Army judge at Camp Justice on Wednesday, his first ever court date nine years after CIA agents captured him in the Arabian Gulf region and spirited him off to waterboarding and other secret interrogation techniques.

Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, 46, turned up in a white prison camp uniform of a cooperative Guantánamo captive, beardless and round-faced.

Col. James Pohl, the military judge, began questioning him through an Arabic-English translator about his ability to understand the proceedings and have lawyers defend him against capital terror and murder charges in the October 2000 suicide bombing of the USS Cole warship off Yemen.

“At this moment these lawyers are doing the right job,” Nashiri told the judge with a grin.

Seventeen American sailors died in the attack. Some of their families were watching from a glass-enclosed soundproofed booth at the rear of the tribunal chamber, which a Navy commander described as similar to a “cry room.”

It’s the public’s first glance of the Saudi-born former millionaire from Mecca since his capture. And it’s the first time the Obama administration is seeking the death penalty from a military commission, a jury of 12 U.S. military officers who will be chosen at the soonest next year to hear the case that the captive’s lawyers argue is illegitimate.

The Bush White House branded Nashiri as chief of Arabian Gulf terror operations. Rather than charge him at the time of his capture in October 2002, CIA agents whisked him off to a series of overseas CIA “black sites” where he was subjected to interrogations that included mock executions, threats to his family and the simulated drowning technique, waterboarding.

“By torturing Mr. Nashiri, the United States has lost all moral authority to try and kill him,” argues Indianapolis defense attorney Richard Kammen, leading the Pentagon-paid team of civilian and military defenders tasked to represent him.

The Pentagon’s chief prosecutor, however, counters that no evidence gleaned through torture would be used at a trial that will be kept as open as possible despite the intelligence agencies roles. “We are balancing important interests here: Free press, fair trial and national security,” Army Brig. Gen. Mark Martins told reporters on the eve of the arraignment.

Guards brought Nashiri to the war court compound after dawn on Wednesday morning.

The prison camps commander, Navy Rear Adm. David B. Woods, said the transfer and 20-minute drive across the remote Navy base went without injury or a hitch, “exactly as we planned.”

To read more, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Witty dealmaker Juncker to be EU's new CEO

    The incoming leader of Europe's most powerful bureaucracy is a master of the backroom deal — and an outspoken and witty career politician who once advocated the right to lie in times of crisis.

  •  
Palestinians drive past a building destroyed by an Israeli strike on Friday, in Gaza City, Sunday, July 13, 2014. Thousands of Palestinian residents of the northern Gaza Strip fled their homes on Sunday and sought safety in U.N. shelters, heeding warnings from the Israeli military about impending plans to bomb the area in the sixth day of an offensive against Hamas that has killed more than 160 people.

    Israel says it's downed drone along southern coast

    Israel's military says it has downed an unmanned drone along its southern coastline, the first time it has encountered such a weapon since its struggle with Gaza Strip militants began last week.

  •  
FILE - In this file photo taken July 11, 2014, Palestinians look at the damage of a destroyed house where five members of the Ghannam family were killed in an Israeli missile strike early morning in Rafah refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip. Israel says its punishing air assault on Hamas militants, their property and their weaponry has delivered a devastating blow to the Islamic militant group. Yet rocket fire at Israel has continued almost unabated.

    Despite offensive, Gaza rockets still hit Israel

    Israel says its punishing air assault on Hamas militants, their property and their weaponry has delivered a devastating blow to the Islamic militant group. Yet rocket fire at Israel has continued almost unabated.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category