'End is in sight' for Libya mission, NATO says

 

McClatchy Newspapers

BRUSSELS — NATO defense ministers said Thursday that the alliance would end its six-month mission in Libya once deposed leader Moammar Gadhafi can no longer mount attacks against civilians — a point that they suggested was imminent even though Gadhafi has evaded capture.

"It is clear the end is in sight," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Thursday. "The threat to civilians is fading away."

During a two-day meeting at NATO headquarters here, defense ministers tried to set parameters for ending the mission, and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Thursday that the allies had reached a "pretty clear consensus" on what would constitute the right time to stand down.

Four key areas of tension needed to be resolved, Panetta said: Gadhafi's hometown of Sirte, one of his last remaining strongholds, must be pacified; Gadhafi loyalists must no longer be able to attack civilians; Gadhafi's military capabilities must be totally destroyed; and the transitional government must be able to secure the country.

If the balance of factors shows that Gadhafi is no longer a threat, the mission would end, said U.S. Adm. James Stravitis, NATO's supreme allied commander. The decision will not hinge on a "series of precise metrics," he said.

The transitional government is trying to consolidate its grip on the country even as Gadhafi and his son and former heir apparent, Saif al Islam, remain at large. On Thursday, Gadhafi appeared to resurface in an audio recording broadcast on a Syrian-based television channel, urging Libyans to "be courageous, rise up, go out in the streets" to oppose the new government.

It wasn't possible to verify whether the recording truly was Gadhafi, who transitional government officials believe is on the run in Libya's vast southern desert, under the protection of tribal groups.

While some Libyans — particularly tribes loyal to Gadhafi and former members of his government — have expressed worry that transitional government forces would target them for reprisal attacks, NATO leaders said that the threat to civilians, as they defined it, came only from pro-Gadhafi forces.

It was unclear whether the new Libyan leadership would have a say in the duration of the NATO mission. Some Libyans fear that ending the mission could weaken the transitional government as it struggles to stabilize the state. So far the ruling National Transitional Council has been plagued by missteps, including slow-moving reform measures, trigger-happy fighters and indecision about how Libya should be governed after the interim period.

Libya dominated the two-day session, with NATO officials saying that they were right to intervene when they did but lacked sufficient military intelligence, unmanned drone aircraft, aerial tankers and ammunition. The United States buttressed the effort with additional equipment, but after ceding control to NATO forces the mission appeared to drag, earning criticism from many Libyans who sought Gadhafi's immediate departure.

The mission, spurred by a seemingly imminent invasion by Gadhafi forces of the rebel capital of Benghazi, included nearly 25,000 air sorties in which NATO planes struck more than 5,000 targets.

But Libyans have also criticized the NATO mission for killing civilians, and NATO officials have said that they don't have any plans to investigate reports of civilian casualties in its air strikes.

The NATO-backed rebels seized the capital, Tripoli, in August. Since then the transitional council has struggled to gain control of a few remaining bastions of Gadhafi support, including Sirte, where international aid groups and fleeing residents report that the humanitarian situation is rapidly worsening.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

NATO chief says Libya mission doesn't hinge on Gadhafi's capture

Libyan civilian toll from NATO bombings still unknown

Family tells of terror from armed Gadhafi loyalists in Sirte

For more international news visit McClatchy's World page.

McClatchy Newspapers 2011

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • US delivers military aid to Lebanon

    The United States has delivered the first shipment of weapons to Lebanon to help bolster its military as it faces a growing threat from Islamic militants amid the fallout from neighboring Syria's civil war.

  •  
Turkey's new President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stands in respect as he visits the mausoleum of modern Turkey's founder, Kemal Ataturk, before a ceremony where he formally took charge of the presidency from his predecessor, Abdullah Gul, at the Cankaya Palace in Ankara, Turkey, Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014. Erdogan said that as the first president to be elected by the people _ instead of parliament _ his tenure would usher in an era of a “new Turkey, a great Turkey.”

    Turkey's Davutoglu announces new government

    Turkey's new Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Thursday reappointed all key ministers who served under the new president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, setting a course of continuity for the new government.

  •  
In this photo taken on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014,  Red Cross workers walk through a section of West Point, an area that has been hit hard by the Ebola virus, with residents not allowed to leave as government forces clamp down on movement to prevent the spread of Ebola, in  Monrovia, Liberia. The Ebola outbreak in West Africa eventually could exceed 20,000 cases, more than six times as many as are now known, the World Health Organization said Thursday. A new plan released by the U.N. health agency to stop Ebola also assumes that the actual number of cases in many hard-hit areas may be two to four times higher than currently reported.

    WHO: More Ebola cases in past week than any other

    The past week has seen the highest increase of Ebola cases since the outbreak in West Africa began, the World Health Organization said Friday, offering more evidence that the crisis is worsening.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category