At Guantanamo, Woods quietly takes command

 

The Miami Herald

The Pentagon has quietly installed a Navy aviator who lost classmates in the 9/11 attacks as the 11th commander of its Guantánamo detention center in Cuba.

Rear Adm. David B. Woods, a Utah native in his 50s, took charge last Wednesday in a ceremony attended by soldiers and sailors as well as private contractors who work at the sprawling prison camps, according to photos published on a military website Saturday.

He also runs an intelligence unit and is responsible for "Camp Justice," the war court compound built atop an abandoned airfield during the Bush administration to put the accused Sept. 11, 2001, conspirators and other alleged war criminals on trial.

The Pentagon revealed plans to change management, a regular rotation, earlier this month. But neither its satellite Southern Command in Miami nor the operation itself disclosed that the actual switchover had taken place until Saturday morning when the military posted the prison camps’ internal newsletter on a Guantánamo website.

Woods is the third admiral to run the operation since President Barack Obama ordered its closure by Jan. 22, 2010, a deadline the military missed after Congress blocked funding for transfers and put other hurdles in the administration’s way.

As a result, Attorney General Eric Holder decided to have a military jury judge five former CIA captives charged in the Sept. 11, 2001 mass murder in New York and the Pentagon. Holder had earlier ordered the men face a civilian trial in Manhattan, but reversed course after resistance by Congress and some New York politicians.

The military commission could start later this year at a crude compound atop an abandoned airfield called Camp Justice.

Woods apparently made reference to the coming global spotlight: “Upcoming events will be challenging,” he reportedly warned in the newsletter account, and put detention center operations “on center stage for the entire world to see.”

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this July 2, 2014 photo, protesters are taken away by police officers after hundreds of protesters staged a peaceful sit-ins overnight on a street in the financial district in Hong Kong. Hong Kong’s simmering summer of discontent gets even hotter on Sunday, Aug. 31, 2014 when Beijing is expected to recommend restricting the first direct elections for the Chinese-controlled financial hub’s leader, stepping up chances of a showdown with democracy groups.

    China warns against foreign meddling in Hong Kong

    China warned against foreign meddling in Hong Kong's politics Saturday ahead of an expected announcement to recommend highly contentious restrictions on the first direct elections for the leader of the Chinese-controlled financial hub.

  •  
An Afghan boy and a woman lie on bed as they are treated at hospital after a suicide attack in Jalalabad east of Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014.  A suicide bomber in a truck blew himself up at an intelligence headquarters in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, setting off an intense firefight with security forces, officials said.

    Taliban attack intel office in eastern Afghanistan

    A suicide bomber in a truck blew himself up at an intelligence headquarters in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, killing at least two people and setting off an intense firefight with security forces, officials said.

  •  
Miners wait for their turn to help in the rescue operations at El Comal gold and silver mine after a landslide trapped at least 24 miners inside, in Bonanza, Nicaragua, Friday, Aug. 29, 2014. Rescuers on Friday located 20 of at least 24 gold miners trapped by a landslide in northern Nicaragua, but were not immediately able to bring them to safety.

    11 of 24 trapped gold miners rescued in Nicaragua

    The first 11 of 24 freelance gold miners trapped by a collapse in a mine in northern Nicaragua have been rescued and crews were working early Saturday to free more, officials said.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category