Girl injured in fireworks mishap in Dania Beach

An 8-year-old girl was hurt after being struck in the head by a piece of concrete that exploded during a backyard fireworks show at a Dania Beach home.

Akaira McIntyre, of Hollywood, was treated at the scene by Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and taken to Memorial Regional Hospital. Her injuries do not appear to be life-threatening, said Dani Moschella, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office.

Around 11 p.m., an adult used a cinder block to stablize the fireworks display at a home in the 4100 block of Southwest 49th Court. The display exploded, sending shrapnel across the yard and hitting the child, who was about 30 to 40 feet away, Moschella said.

The Florida State Fire Marshals office is investigating the incident.

There are no legal consumer fireworks in Florida. Only sparklers are legal for consumer use and can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees – hot enough to cause serious burns and permanent disfigurement.




© 2011 Miami Herald Media Company. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.miamiherald.com