Dania Beach


Girl injured in fireworks mishap in Dania Beach



An 8-year-old girl was hurt after being struck in the head by a piece of concrete that exploded during a backyard fireworks show at a Dania Beach home.

Akaira McIntyre, of Hollywood, was treated at the scene by Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and taken to Memorial Regional Hospital. Her injuries do not appear to be life-threatening, said Dani Moschella, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office.

Around 11 p.m., an adult used a cinder block to stablize the fireworks display at a home in the 4100 block of Southwest 49th Court. The display exploded, sending shrapnel across the yard and hitting the child, who was about 30 to 40 feet away, Moschella said.

The Florida State Fire Marshals office is investigating the incident.

There are no legal consumer fireworks in Florida. Only sparklers are legal for consumer use and can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees – hot enough to cause serious burns and permanent disfigurement.

sbryan@tribune.com or 954-356-4554

Read more Dania Beach stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK