NEGLECTED TO DEATH | Part 1: A history of violence ends in fiery rampage


Committed to a psychiatric ward for threatening a resident, a felon was allowed back to his care center — with tragic results.

Thursday at noon: Join us for a conversation with reporters about Life and Death in Assisting Living: WLRN Miami Herald News anchor Phil Latzman goes behind-the-scenes with the investigative team to discuss the findings and implications of their yearlong investigation.


Pedro Sanchez set his bed on fire with a red disposable lighter. Then, clutching a large, jagged rock, he struck the frail, elderly people who tried to flee the deadly inferno.

“Aqui vamos a morir todos!” witnesses said Sanchez shouted as he beat a 55-year-old man in a wheelchair. “We are all going to die here.”

Though five residents of the K&K Adult Care Center in Miami escaped the Oct. 1, 2005, blaze, 78-year-old Graciela Labastilla would succumb to the toxic fumes.

In the coming days, state agents turned up evidence that the facility had failed to safeguard its elderly and disabled residents, leaving a violent man with a criminal past to prey on vulnerable adults.

Just days before he ignited the fire, Sanchez was allowed back to the home after being committed to a psychiatric ward for threatening a resident and throwing a rock into a neighbor’s house.

The Agency for Health Care Administration determined the home did not protect the residents, but no penalty was ever imposed.

In addition, Miami-Dade fire officials said the fact that hurricane shutters were fastened to the home’s windows — with no impending storms — increased the danger to the residents.

The only person charged in the death of the grandmother of 10 was Sanchez — arrested for arson and homicide — who remains in Atlantic Shores State Hospital, incompetent to stand trial.

Two weeks before the blaze, Sanchez had erupted in anger after a staff member tried to stop him from leaving the home.

The 78-year-old, who was on felony probation for carrying a concealed weapon before moving into the home, threw a rock at a neighbor’s house and threatened to hit caretakers with a stick, witnesses said.

Miami-Dade police officers finally subdued him, taking him to Palmetto General Hospital’s psychiatric ward, where he stayed for 10 days before returning to the ALF.

Over the following days, resident Omar Buttari said Sanchez repeatedly threatened “to burn the place down.”

On Oct. 1, 2005, a caretaker awoke before dawn to a wailing fire alarm. Griselda Cruz, 52, said she grabbed a fire extinguisher, but couldn’t put out the flames. Sanchez, she told detectives, was trying to keep residents from leaving by slamming their bedroom doors and screaming that everyone was going to die.

“Que has hecho?” she asked Sanchez after noticing his bed engulfed in flames. “What have you done?”

The five residents could escape only through the front and back doors because the home had not removed the aluminum shutters barricading the windows. As Cruz tried to help the elderly residents toward the front door, Sanchez struck her in the mouth with the rock. He beat Buttari on the head.

Rescue workers found Labastilla sprawled on the floor and took her to Memorial Hospital Miramar, where she died two days later of carbon monoxide toxicity.

The rock was still in Sanchez’s pocket when police confronted him down the street.

Police estimated the damage at $200,000, and K&K was shut down for good by its owner.

Family members said they were stunned to learn their mother, a retired seamstress who owned a small business in Hialeah, was living in a home with a convicted felon who had been threatening residents for days.

Under Florida law, homes are supposed to evaluate residents to determine whether they are appropriate for placement in their facilities.

“I didn’t know there was anybody like Pedro Sanchez in there,” said the victim’s son, Manny Labastilla. “If you have someone who has that type or degree of mental illness to the point where he’s going to threaten a person, he should be at a different type of facility.”

Read more Neglected to Death stories from the Miami Herald


    ALF reforms go undone in Tallahassee

    For the third straight year, legislators have failed to pass reforms to the state’s troubled assisted-living facilities industry. Backers vow to press ahead once again next year.


    State elder-care watchdog job search re-opened

    The new hire will be the third person in less than three years to lead the volunteer ombudsmen who visit assisted-living facilities and nursing homes to ensure that residents receive adequate care.


    Senate panel wants end to unlicensed ALF’s

    Following a Miami Herald story about unlicensed assisted-living facilities using loopholes to escape state scrutiny, lawmakers sought to shut them down.

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category