Earlier this week, Juanes reported to Key Biscayne police that he had received threatening responses to his Twitter feed; one appeared to be a death threat. His house has been stalked by paparazzi and television crews (one from local station América Tevé surprised him while he was on a bike ride).
And although the concert was first slated to include approximately a dozen artists, several stars whom Juanes has approached -- including Juan Luis Guerra (who participated in the first Paz concert), Ricky Martin, Luis Fonsi and Enrique Iglesias -- have turned him down.
Juanes spokesperson John Reilly said the singer is determined to proceed. ``Plans for the second Paz Sin Fronteras concert have not changed,'' Reilly said Thursday in a statement. ``While Juanes understands that there will always be some distressed by efforts for change, he has received overwhelming support from across the Miami Cuban community and continues to feel safe in the city that he has made his home.''
FOR THE PEOPLE
Juanes, who has talked to the Spanish newspaper El País and appeared on Univisión's talk show Aqui y Ahora earlier this month, but has otherwise not talked to the press, insists that he only wants to bring music and a connection to the outside world to Cuba. ``I'm not interested in the Cuban government,'' he told El País. ``I'm interested in the people, in the youth . . . [Cuba] is a country of 11 million people who are isolated for political and historical reasons. It can't continue like this.''
Adrián Leiva, an independent journalist who was thrown out of Cuba by the government last year and who now writes for the Cubanet website from Miami, says that people on his island will welcome Juanes and his music.
``The Cuban population and the youth are basically saturated with politics, with the arguments and politics of the government,'' Leiva said Friday. ``They will receive this concert like a cultural embassy of international artists who bring a message of peace and concord through music.''