CUBAN EXILE COMMUNITY

Pop singer Juanes sparks furor in Cuban exile community with plans for Havana concert

 

Colombian pop singer Juanes is sparking a controversy in the Cuban exile community with plans for a concert in Havana.

WEB VOTE Do you think Juanes' concert in Cuba is a good idea?

jlevin@MiamiHerald.com

An international concert planned for Havana's Plaza de la Revolución and headed by a major Latino pop star is stoking passions in exile Miami in a controversial clash of art and politics.

The blogosphere was buzzing Friday over the Paz Sin Fronteras (Peace Without Borders) concert to be presented by Juanes, the immensely popular Colombian rocker who now calls Miami-Dade home, on Havana's Plaza de la Revolución on Sept. 20. Also scheduled to appear: famed Cuban singer-songwriter Silvio Rodríguez; Los Van Van, the island's most famous dance band; Spanish singer Miguel Bose; and Puerto Rican singer Olga Tañon.

Juanes declined interview requests Friday.

``It's time to start knocking down our own mental walls,'' he wrote in a Twitter feed about the event in late June, when news of the concert leaked. ``Our Cuban brothers need us and we need them. I'm talking about a peace concert on Sept. 20 . . . raise your voice, and let's put aside our ideological differences.''

The show is the second edition of the Paz Sin Fronteras concert that the multi-Grammy-winning star staged on the Colombian-Venezuelan border last year, which drew some 100,000 spectators at a moment of high tension between the governments of the two South American nations.

BEHIND THE UPROAR

Plans for the Havana show set off an argument over music and politics in Miami's exile community the likes of which hasn't been heard since the controversial Los Van Van concert at the Miami Arena in 1999. Earlier this week, Juanes received what appeared to be death threats. Last week, members of Vigilia Mambisa, a tiny right-wing exile group, smashed and burned Juanes' CDs on Calle Ocho -- an action that produced its own controversy, as other Cuban opinion-makers criticized the protest for making the exile community look too extreme.

Critics have said that for an artist of Juanes' stature to appear in Cuba, especially on the Plaza de la Revolución -- and with artists such as Rodríguez and Los Van Van, both of whom are closely associated with Cuban government -- is unacceptable support of the island's regime.

``I love the fact that he decided to play a concert for peace for the Cuban people,'' said popular exile singer Willy Chirino. ``But if he doesn't want any political connotations, why is he inviting Silvio Rodríguez and having [Cuban singer-songwriter] Amaury Pérez as an organizer, who are two of the most pro-Revolutionary artists in Cuba? Invite artists who have no political opinions, or invite Cuban artists who don't represent Castro's Cuba.''

Others have supported the singer, saying that he is opening doors to the Cuban people that encourage much-needed change on the island and in U.S.-Cuba policy and exile attitudes.

``It's time to focus on the Cuban people and not focus exclusively on the Cuban regime,'' said Carlos Saladrigas, co-chairman of the Cuba Study Group, a group of Cuban-American businesspeople that supports improved relations between people of the two nations. ``We believe [the concert] will be of more benefit to the Cuban people, in terms of an opening, in terms of gathering freely.''

SINGER'S REACTION

The intensity of the debate seems to have surprised the amiable 37-year-old singer, who lives in Key Biscayne with his wife (who is eight months pregnant) and their two young daughters. Juanes' songs are known for positive messages of love, humanity and family, and he has a foundation which works with land-mine victims in Colombia. Now he has found himself the object of controversy in South Florida.

Read more People stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Ford

    Celebrity birthdays on July 13

    Actor Patrick Stewart is 73. Actor Robert Forster (“Banyon”) is 72. Singer-guitarist Roger McGuinn of The Byrds is 71. Actor Harrison Ford is 71. Actor-comedian Cheech Marin is 67. Director Cameron Crowe is 56. Comedian Tom Kenny (“Spongebob Squarepants”) is 51. Actor Michael Jace (“The Shield”) is 48. Singer Deborah Cox is 40. Drummer Will Champion of Coldplay is 35. Actor Steven R. McQueen (“Vampire Diaries”) is 25.

  •  
hilton

    Local appearance

    Perez Hilton on daddy duty

    Being a new father — and a single one at that — doesn’t allow Perez Hilton much down time. But he’s decided to leave his son (via surrogate) in Los Angeles for a good cause: co judging the Ultimate Miami Drag Queen contest at Magic City Casino Saturday night. We spoke to the 35-year-old celebrity blogger, also known to his hometown of Miami as Mario Lavandeira Jr.

  •  
Bieber

    Celebrity roundup

    Justin Bieber’s problems du jour

    While mom Pattie Mallette fended off teen admirers at her two local Books & Books appearances promoting her memoir, her son was stirring up all sorts of trouble elsewhere.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category