Cuba has acknowledged the desertion of baseball pitcher Aroldis
Chapman, a week after he walked away from a tournament in the Netherlands.
The Communist Party daily Granma said Friday that Chapman has contracted baseball
agent Jaime Torres to represent him. Cuba previously had said nothing about Chapman's
desertion, despite widespread media coverage in exile-dominated Miami.
The 21-year-old Chapman attracted international attention during the World Baseball
Classic with a fastball of up to 100 mph. He is considered among the top
left-handed pitchers in the world, and the best pitcher to abandon Cuba since Jose
Contreras left in 2002.