AP

Cuba acknowledges top pitcher's desertion

 

Similar stories:

AP

Cuba has acknowledged the desertion of baseball pitcher Aroldis Chapman, a week after he walked away from a tournament in the Netherlands.

The Communist Party daily Granma said Friday that Chapman has contracted baseball agent Jaime Torres to represent him. Cuba previously had said nothing about Chapman's desertion, despite widespread media coverage in exile-dominated Miami.

The 21-year-old Chapman attracted international attention during the World Baseball Classic with a fastball of up to 100 mph. He is considered among the top left-handed pitchers in the world, and the best pitcher to abandon Cuba since Jose Contreras left in 2002.

Read more Cuba News stories from the Miami Herald

  • Woman celebrates 100th birthday of late OH swimmer

    A central Ohio woman plans a celebration for what would have been her late husband's 100th birthday and the 35th anniversary of his disputed Cuba-to-Florida swim.

  • Cuba economy czar: Reforms entering critical phase

    Communist-led Cuba's experiment with limited capitalism is entering a crucial and transformative phase this year with the decentralization of bloated state-run businesses, the island's economic czar said Tuesday.

  •  

Cuba's President Raul Castro, left, and Vice President Miguel Diaz-Canel talk during the second day of a twice-annual legislative sessions, at the National Assembly in Havana, Cuba, Sunday, July 7, 2013. Observers will be watching to see if the new vice president is taking on increasing responsibility since assuming the post in what was seen as the beginning of a generational leadership transition.

    Castro speech scolds islanders for bad behavior

    Raul Castro spent the lion's share of a prominent speech Sunday scolding his countrymen for all kinds of bad behavior, everything from corruption and theft to public urination and the odoriferous practice of raising pigs in cities.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category