U.S. judge orders release of young Gitmo detainee

 

A federal judge in Washington who earlier ordered the release of some Algerians at Guantánamo to Bosnia on Wednesday further ordered the military to free a Gitmo captive from Chad who was captured at age 14.

Associated Press

A U.S. judge on Wednesday ordered the military to release one of its Guantánamo Bay detainees, a 21-year-old man who has been detained and accused of being a terrorist since he was 14.

Mohamed el Gharani, who is of Chad nationality but had livedin Saudi Arabia, should be released from the U.S. prison in Cuba "forthwith,'' U.S. District Judge Richard Leon said in a ruling from the bench.

The military had accused Gharani of being part of al-Qaeda, working for the Taliban and fighting American forces in Afghanistan. However, Leon said those accusations were based on testimony from other Guantánamo Bay detainees, which he found unreliable.

Gharani listened to the ruling by telephone from Cuba but did not react.

He could be on his way home to his family in a few weeks, lawyer Zackary Katznelson said. "Judge Leon did justice today.''

The government can appeal Leon's decision.

"We're disappointed by the ruling and will consider our options,'' Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said.

Read more In the Courts stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Attorney General Eric Holder speaks during a news conference at the Department of Justice in Washington, Monday, Nov. 4, 2013.

    AG Holder: 9/11 plotters could have been on death row by now

    U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said on Monday that accused Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed and four alleged co-conspirators would already have been convicted and set for execution if they had been tried in civilian courts as Holder wanted in 2009.

  •  
U.S. District Court Judge Royce Lamberth is pictured in his office in this Nov. 23, 2005, file photo in Washington.

    IN THE COURTS

    Judge orders release of sick Guantánamo captive

    A federal judge has ordered the release of a mentally ill Guantánamo Bay prisoner who has been held without charge at the U.S. Navy base in Cuba for more than 11 years.

  • US SUPREME COURT

    Justices reject Padilla, Guantánamo appeals

    The U.S. Supreme Court declined to take up any of seven Guantánamo detainee cases, and also refused to reinstate a lawsuit by former ‘enemy combatant’ Jose Padilla against former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category