Alleged 9/11 architect: Martyr me

 

A group of alleged senior al Qaeda leaders -- held secretly by the United States and interrogated since 2003 -- appeared Thursday before a war court judge.

Similar stories:

crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- One by one, the U.S. military brought five accused 9/11 co-conspirators before a war court judge Thursday, and each one rejected his free-of-charge American lawyers. Two said they welcomed death.

''In Allah I put my trust,'' said reputed al Qaeda kingpin Khalid Sheik Mohammed.

Asked by the trial judge whether he understood that conviction could earn him a death sentence, Mohammed replied: ``This is what I wish -- to be martyred.''

It was the first appearance of the alleged senior al Qaeda leaders, whom the United States has held secretly and interrogated overseas since their capture in 2003.

They are accused of conspiring with Osama bin Laden to orchestrate the four U.S. airline hijackings that toppled the World Trade Center, shattered the Pentagon and slammed into a Pennsylvania field on Sept. 11, 2001, killing 2,973 men, women and children.

All were brought from the prison camps several miles away to the special maximum security war court, and sat one behind the other.

Observers were able to watch the proceedings at special viewing sites, but on several occasions audio feed was muted.

In one instance, Mohammed's nephew, Ammar al Baluchi, sounded like he was about to describe the circumstances of his capture.

The CIA has classified as state secrets the captives' time as ''ghost prisoners'' at clandestine overseas prisons, and the details of their interrogations -- during which Baluchi's uncle was waterboarded.

In another, Yemeni Ramzi bin al Shibh started explaining to the judge, Marine Col. Ralph Kohlmann, why he had been taking ''psychotropic drugs'' since arriving at Guantánamo along with the other men in September 2006.

All the men sat in white tunics with their heads covered. Only Bin al Shibh, 36, was in shackles, with his leg irons bolted to the floor.

NO U.S. VISA

A Yemeni, he allegedly tried to join the Sept. 11 suicide squads, and obtain flight training in Florida, but failed to get a U.S. visa from Hamburg, Germany.

''I've been seeking martyrdom for five years. I tried for 9/11 to get a visa. And I could not obtain that visa,'' Bin al Shibh said in rejecting his defense lawyer. ``If this martyrdom happens today I will welcome it. God is great, God is great.''

The hearing was meant to be an arraignment, a formal reading of the charges in advance of legal motions, discovery of evidence and a proposed Sept. 18 opening of trial.

REMARKABLE DAY

But the day was remarkable -- a 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. court session, including two prayer breaks -- in which each man rejected the two to four military and civilian attorneys sitting beside him.

The director of the American Civil Liberties Union, Anthony Romero, watched from the spectators gallery in a fury. He had been building a death penalty defense fund and pool of criminal defense lawyers to help the military lawyers.

''It was one of the saddest days in American jurisprudence,'' he said. 'The word `torture' was used so abundantly and the legal process continued.''

He blamed Pentagon haste to get the men to trial before the end of the Bush administration. Defense lawyers were not given sufficient time to forge attorney-client relationships ''with men who were tortured for five years,'' before Thursday's arraignment, he said.

The Bush administration says it does not torture.

Some of the men rejected the legitimacy of commissions, in which U.S. military officers serve as judge and jurors. Saudi Mustafa Hawsawi, who allegedly funneled funds for the terror plot, went last and appeared to be echoing the others who came before him.

Read more Guantánamo Special Coverage stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Captives at midday prayers on March 18, 2011 in Camp 6 of the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in this Navy photo released by the U.S. military.

    Who's still being held at Guantánamo

    Here is a comprehensive list of who is still held at the Guantánamo detention center in Cuba. McClatchy determined who was still there using both sources and court records as well as secret intelligence files obtained by WikiLeaks and passed to McClatchy.

  • EXCLUSIVE | NAVY BASE

    Navy plans $40 million fiber-optic link to Guantánamo base

    The $40 million project will put an underwater cable from the base in southeast Cuba through the Windward Passage to an undisclosed link in South Florida.

  •  
Castro bobble-head doll, one of several rather unique items sold at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base's 'Radio Gitmo', on the east end of Cuba, December 22, 2011.

    GUANTANAMO

    Base DJs riff Fidel Castro for fun, not profits

    Its motto is ‘Rockin’ in Fidel’s Backyard,’ although its on air jingle is more discrete. For listeners on the Guantánamo base, the station offers a little levity with the serious mission.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category