Current detainee census: 166, from 23 countries.
Youngest: 26 or 27, Hassan bin Attash of Yemen.
Oldest captive: 65, Saifullah Paracha of Pakistan.
Captives now designated for indefinite detention, without charge or trial: 46.
Pentagon forces assigned to detention operations: 1,950, as of June 20 -- fewer than 300 of them civilians and the overwhelming majority of troops from the U.S. Army. Navy prison hospital staff numbers around 137.
Total number of residents at Guantanamo on Feb. 20, 2013, by Navy base estimates: 6,171.
Cost to house one detainee a year at prison camps: $800,000 by Obama administration July 2011 estimate.
Detainees who died in the camps: Nine. Two Saudis and a Yemeni were found dead Camp 1 June 10, 2006 in what the Southern Command calls suicides by hanging; another Saudi, was found dead in Camp 5 in May 30, 2007 in what the Southern Command calls a suicide by hanging; an Afghan man at the detention center hospital in Dec. 30, 2007 in what the Southern Command said was colon cancer; a Yemeni man in the psychiatric ward June 1, 2009 in what the Southern Command called suicide, strangled by the elastic band from underwear, according to a military autopsy; an Afghan man designated for indefinite detention collapsed Feb. 1, 2011 in a cellblock after working out on an exercise machine in Camp 6 in what the Southern Command called a heart attack; and an Afghan man was found hanging from a bedsheet in a Camp 6 recreation yard on May 17, 2011 in what the the Southern Command called suicide. On Sept. 10, 2012 the military disclosed that another detainee was found dead in his Camp 5 cell two days earlier, on Sept. 8, 2012, in what Southern Command said was a suicide by overdose of drugs complicated by acute pneumonia.
Captives in camps with prosthetics: Five as of Sept. 13, 2011.
Size of Navy base: 45 square miles, straddling Guantánamo Bay, from prison camp to air strip.
Prison camp commanders since 2002 opening: 12 admirals and generals.
Captives who arrived Jan. 11, 2002, to inaugurate Camp X-Ray: 20
Last known arrival: Muhammed Rahim al Afghani, described as a high-level al Qaeda captive, on March 14, 2008.
Last detainee departure: Yemeni Adnan Latif in September 2012, who was found dead in a cell on Sept. 8 in what pathologists described as a suicide. His remains were stored at a U.S. base in Germany until his December 2012 repatriation to his homeland.
Last live detainee departure: Two Uighur Muslim men to El Salvador on April 18, 2012, more than three years after a U.S. District Court ordered their release. They had been held at a separate detention compound with three other Uighur Muslim men, still there.
Last convict departure: Canadian Omar Khadr, who pleaded guilty to war crimes in 2010 in exchange for a maximum eight-year prison sentence to be partially served in Canada, on Sept. 29, 2012.
International Committee of the Red Cross visits to the detention center since it opened Jan. 11, 2002: 93.
Daily calorie offering to each detainee: 4,500 according to a 9/12/2011 media briefing.
Nations that have resettled cleared detainees who are not their citizens: 17: Albania, Belgium, Bermuda, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, El Salvador, France, Georgia, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Palau, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland.
Nation that has resettled the largest number of non-citizen freed detainees: Albania has taken 11 to include Uighurs, Egyptians, an Algerian, Libyan, Tunisian and Uzbek.
Largest current concentration of captives, by nationality: About 90 Yemenis.
Captives convicted by Military Commission: Seven.
Foot soldier David Hicks in a 2007 plea bargain to return home, now free in his native Australia.
Osama bin Laden driver Salim Hamdan at trial in July-August 2008, now free in his native Yemen. A civilian court vacated his conviction.
Bin Laden media aide Ali Hamza al Bahlul of Yemen at trial in November 2008, serving life in a special prison annex.
Foot soldier Ibrahim al Qosi of Sudan in an August 2010 plea bargain that returned him to his native Sudan on July 10, 2012.
Teen terrorist Omar Khadr in an October 2010 plea bargain to return to his native Canada in 2011 and serve at most seven more years there. He was repatriated on Sept. 29, 2012
Paramilitary training camp small-arms instructor Noor Uthman Mohammed on Feb. 18, 2011 in a plea bargain to return to his native Sudan by 2014, provided he testifies for the government at federal and military trials until his release.
Former CIA captive and ex-U.S. resident Majid Khan, a Pakistani, in a February 2012 plea bargain to postpone his sentencing for four years while he testifies against other fellow "high-value captives."
Captives currently facing a Military Commission: Six. Saudi-born Abd al Rahim al Nashiri facing a death penalty trial as alleged architect of the October 2000 suicide bombing of the USS Cole off Yemen that killed 17 US sailors. Separately, alleged mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed and four alleged co-conspirators in the 9/11 attacks face another death penalty trials.
Captives an Obama Task Force designated could go to trial: 36, three of whom have already pleaded guilty and been sentenced by military commission.
Cases involving detainee rights that have gone before the U.S. Supreme Court during the War on Terror: Four.
Times the justices sided with detainees against the Bush administration: Four.
Largest captive population since detention center opened: About 660 in November 2003.
Smallest: 20 on Jan. 11, 2002.
Updated June 5, 2013



















My Yahoo