Red Cross meets Khalid Sheik Mohammed, others

 

crosenberg@miamiherald.com

The International Committee of the Red Cross confirmed that it has met the 14 so-called ''high-value'' detainees at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, who include alleged Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed.

A 12-member Red Cross delegation is still on the remote base in southeast Cuba, still working on gathering detainee notes and messages home -- but has interviewed 454 international U.S.-held captives, said Simon Schorno, an ICRC spokesman.

''We have seen the 14 as of today,'' said Schorno, speaking from Washington, D.C., following what he called a premature leak by the Pentagon of the meeting with Mohammed and other former CIA held captives.

''We're confirming having visited and registered the 14 detainees, and provided them with the means to exchange Red Cross messages with their families,'' he added.

He declined to say which, if any, of the 14 detainees had used the format to write home, probably for the first time since they were captured by the CIA and taken to so-called ''black sites'' somewhere overseas for U.S. interrogation.

President Bush revealed to the world on Sept. 6 that the United States had held the 14 men at secret offshore CIA detention spots, and had over Labor Day had them transferred to military custody at the U.S. Navy base in Cuba.

Their private meetings with Red Cross delegates, who included a doctor and translators, are not monitored by the military, Schorno said.

The ''high value detainees'' include Mohammed, whom the president referred to by his CIA nickname, ''KSM,'' as well as other men who the United States claims were architects of the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole on Yemen's coast and the U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.

Their health conditions are not known after as much as four years of secret CIA captivity. Schorno deflected a question on whether the Red Cross observed signs that the men had been tortured with this: ``The ICRC does not comment publicly on current or past circumstances of detention or treatment of detainees.''

Instead, the delegates relay their concerns about conditions secretly to the country holding prisoners. The Swiss based organization first got access to the prison soon after the detention center opened in Jan. 2002, and they have never commented publicly on the conditions at the base in southeast Cuba.

But the 14 men had been held in secret U.S.-controlled locations -- off the books and out of reach of the International Red Cross, which under the Geneva Conventions has long been responsible for inspecting prisons the world over and verifying that prisoners of war are treated humanely and don't disappear while in custody.

The Pentagon told media in Washington about the completed Red Cross interviews on the same day that it released a formal announcement that the U.S. had sent away 17 captives from the base -- 16 to Afghanistan and another to Morocco.

It did not name the men, but said they had been freed after a series of internal reviews and diplomatic dialogue with their native countries.

Given the ICRC figure of 454 detainees interviewed, minus the 17 unnamed captives the Pentagon said it released Thursday, that left the prison population there at 437.

The Pentagon statement put the number of detainees at ``approximately 440.''

At Guantánamo, Navy Cmdr. Robert Durand called the Red Cross consultations ''meaningful, useful and confidential'' -- meaning he would not spell out any criticisms, if any, the international relief agency made of the captives' conditions.

Durand said the men are entitled to the same health care as U.S. forces on overseas duty.

''As with all other detainees they receive adequate food, shelter, and clothing. They are afforded the opportunity to worship and have access to the Koran in their native language and other prayer accessories,'' Durand said in a statement.

"Consistent with established policies, they are allowed to send and receive mail.''

Red Cross officials arrived on the remote base in southeast Cuba about two weeks ago, after Army Gen. Bantz Craddock, head of the Southern Command, said former CIA-held captives were undergoing a month-long orientation.

They are theoretically to face internal U.S. military reviews to see if they meet Bush administration definitions of ''enemy combatants,'' and potentially future trial by U.S. military tribunal.

Still unclear is when precisely the men now cast as ''the worst of the worst'' of the Guantánamo population might face the Combatant Status Review Tribunals, which had been open to media coverage in the past.

If the Pentagon provides access similar to earlier hearings, reporters will get the first glimpse of Mohammed, Ramzi Bin al Shibh, and others who were publicly identified by the president as captives at Guantánamo as part of a policy speech on evolving U.S. detention policy.

Senior Defense and Justice Department officials had earlier said reviews would be held within three months of the arrival of the men. That means they should be complete by Christmas.

Read more Guantánamo Special Coverage stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this Feb. 2, 2002 file photo, a detainee brought by airlift from Afghanistan is carried on a stretcher before being interrogated by military officials at Camp X-Ray at the U.S. Navy Base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

    GUANTANAMO

    ‘Flouting the rules of law and morality’

    GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — Before this onetime coaling station for the U.S. Navy ships in the Caribbean was transformed into a site holding captives in the war on terror that U.S. officials had called the worst of the worst, most Americans were unaware of its existence.

  • Web Extra | A prison camps primer

    The Pentagon has built a series of facilities at Guantánamo Bay since it inaugurated its offshore detention and interrogation center for terrorist suspects in January 2002 by airlifting captives to remote Cuba from Bagram, Afghanistan.

  •  
These men are among those being force-fed at Guantanamo, according to their lawyers who say they got notice from the Justice Department. Top row from left: Yemeni Tariq Ba Awdah, 34, Syrian Jihad Diyab, 41, Yemeni Mohammed Al-Hamiri, in his 30s. Bottom row rom left: Kuwaiti Fayez Kandari, 35, Yemenis Yasin Ismael and Samir Muqbil, both in their 30s. Five of the photos come from the captives' military intelligence risk assessments obtained by McClatchy from Wikileaks. Kandari's photo was taken by the International Red Cross and released by his family.

    Who's still being held at Guantánamo

    Here is a comprehensive list of who is still held at the Guantánamo detention center in Cuba. McClatchy determined who was still there using both sources and court records as well as secret intelligence files obtained by WikiLeaks and passed to McClatchy.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category