In my opinion
Forty years later, what Hank Aaron did still stands on the highest tier of the greatest accomplishments in sports history, but what he did also is bittersweet.
James Jones and Andre Johnson, Miami natives who grew up yearning to be Miami Hurricanes, will join a prolific class when they are inducted Thursday night into the UM Sports Hall of Fame.
Nationals 10, Marlins 7
The Nationals rallied Wednesday from five runs down to hand the Marlins their 11th loss in their past 12 games in Washington.
Flyers 5, Panthers 2
Philadelphia scored three goals off its first four shots in the second and clinched a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs with a 5-2 win over Florida at BB&T Center.
World Wrestling Entertainment announced on its web site late Tuesday night the death of James Brian Hellwig, 54, better known as newly inducted WWE Hall of Famer The Ultimate Warrior.
Nets 88, Heat 87
The Nets completed a 4-0 sweep of the Heat, this time preserving the one-point win on a blocked dunk of LeBron James at the buzzer.
Nationals 5, Marlins 0
Hialeah native Gio Gonzalez gave up three hits in six innings, halting the hot start to the season by the Marlins’ hitters.
UM Football | Quarterback battle
The Kevin Olsen era — for as long or short as it lasts — began Tuesday at the University of Miami, with all eyes on the shaggy-haired redshirt freshman quarterback and his backup, sophomore Gray Crow.
In My Opinion | Greg Cote
The Heat’s path to a third consecutive NBA championship hasn’t gotten any easier or harder lately. But it does feel different. The chief road block to Miami’s fourth consecutive trip out of the Eastern Conference and into the Finals appears to have changed colors, from golden yellow to Darth Vader black.
Dwyane Wade is close to returning to the court, but was held out of his seventh game in a row on Tuesday as a precaution.
NCAA Championship Game | Connecticut 60, Kentucky 54
No. 7 seed Connecticut shut down eighth-seeded Kentucky in the NCAA title game and won its fourth national crown.
Al Golden spoke publicly about injured quarterback Ryan Williams for the first time Monday on the radio, saying how thrilled coaches were with the effort by his players during Friday nights closed scrimmage, then adding how deflated and disappointed for Williams he was.
When the Dallas Stars took a 2-0 lead on the Panthers early in Sundays game, they did so with a pair of players Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin who have combined for 69 goals this season.
Marlins | Casey McGehee
A five-city, three-year journey landed Casey McGehee with the Marlins, for whom he has had a terrific start.
The Heat hopes to send a message by avoiding a season sweep against the Nets, whom Miami could meet in a second-round playoff matchup.
In My Opinion
Shabazz Napier saved the best for last. In fulfilling a promise to his mother, he fulfilled his own promise as a basketball player.
In My Opinion
The biggest threat standing between the Heat and a third consecutive NBA championship isnt Indiana or Kevin Durant or even San Antonio.
Alonzo Mourning, who will be inducted to the Hall of Fame in August, credited Pat Riley and John Thompson – among others – for impacting his life and career.
Padres 4, Marlins 2
The smallest player in the majors had the biggest blast of the afternoon Sunday, and it prevented the Marlins from capping off a series sweep of the San Diego Padres.
Marlins 5, Padres 0
Jose Fernandez was stellar on the mound and Giancarlo Stanton did his part at the plate, as the Marlins blanked the Padres to clinch their second series victory in a row.
- Miami-Dade among counties in Florida budget dispute over juvenile incarceration
- Strip club ‘armed guard’ recovering after head-bashing with concrete stand
- Federal judge waits for FBI in Sarasota Saudis case
- Court: Fla. discrimination law covers pregnancy
- Salmonella decline seen in food poisoning report
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child this fall
- A dozen shots hit Miami-Dade house; man wounded in stomach
- Unexpected revenues help Jackson Health System
- Anti-bullying bill supported by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross likely to fail
- Patience, preparation pay off for Miami Heat’s Udonis Haslem, Rashard Lewis
- Exotic, endangered animals thrive at Wild Oak preserve
- University of Miami pole vaulter Alysha Newman turns fear into success
- Palmetto repeats GMAC crown
- Jose Fernandez, Miami Marlins unravel late in loss to Washington Nationals
- David J. Neal: NCAA ruling on meals is really food for thought
- Miami Marlins to use four-man pitching rotation with Jacob Turner on DL
- Riviera Focacceria Italiana now open in the Shops of Midtown Miami
- Miami Beach may spend $26 million on land for transit hub
- Unexpected revenues help Jackson Health System
- Microsoft will celebrate new retail store at Aventura Mall with free performance by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Royal Caribbean’s Quantum of the Seas to call China home
- Wells Fargo names new regional president for South Florida
- Watsco reports record first quarter results
- AutoNation profit up 15 percent
- Miami chefs put a twist on Easter classics
- Cook’s Corner: Behold the new colors of Easter eggs
- Edgy Veggie: Eggless Egg Salad
- Fit tip: Get enough water
- Watch for sleep drug risks
- If stress has you on edge, these foods will settle you
- How to correct five common beauty mistakes
- Fast, cheap test can save the lives of many babies
- ‘Fear Up Harsh’ propels Miami’s Christopher Demos-Brown into the national spotlight
- Tiny victims of a conspiracy of silence
- Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman on late show
- Streisand, Chenoweth director Richard Jay-Alexander to receive LGBT Unity Coalition award in Miami Beach
- Choreographer Trey McIntyre brings community and artistic inspiration from Boise to Miami
- Miami-based National Water Dance Project aims to raise awareness of threats to a crucial resource
- Dance review: Miami-based Brazzdance’s premiere of ‘DaDa’ ambitious and mostly rewarding
- Iconic Hollywood actor Mickey Rooney dies at 93
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Harry Russell, 93, Miami-Dade’s champion for the disabled, has died
- World reacts to death of Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Works by Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Nobel laureate Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies
- Salsa great Cheo Feliciano dies in car crash at 78