The block committees in the Havana neighborhood of Arroyo Naranjo are appealing to residents to help crack down on the theft of public telephones, which totaled 57 in the first 10 days of the month.
The Típico Viejo prison in the province of Las Tunas has been put under quarantine because of an epidemic of conjunctivitis, an eye infection, that affects 30 percent of the prison polulation, according to political prisoner Alfredo Domínguez.
Carriage driver Jorge Onelio Acosta says he was beaten by police and called a homosexual when his horse came in contact with a young boy last week.
Police agents arrested independent journalist Lisandro Herrera Arteta at a public festival and charged him with creating a public scandal.
Joel Lázaro Carbonell, president of the dissident Free Cubans organization, said from his prison cell that he was given a one-year sentence at a trial that ignored his rights.
Ernesto Rafael Mena, an ex-political prisoner and president of opposition Democratic Youth organization, says several State Security agents spotted him on the street last week and got out of their patrol car and beat him up.
Independent journalist Yosvani Anzardo Hernández, director of the Candonga agency, has been freed after two weeks' confinement in the Pedernales prison in Holguín province.
A block committee member told police he was knifed by dissidents when he tried to stop them from putting up anti-government posters in the Arroyo Naranjo district of Havana.
Dissident Yoel Marín, who had been free on parole, was reimprisoned on charges he was promoting the overthrow of the government.
A municipal court has sentenced dissident Arnaldo Herrera to one year in prison on charges he was responsible for anti-government signs put up near his home.
- An art program in Miami women’s prison gives inmates moments of escapism
- Hurricane Cristobal heads toward Bermuda
- Nathan Eovaldi, Miami Marlins pummeled by Angels
- Conrad Hilton hurt in car crash near Palm Springs
- Journalist held captive in Syria arrives in US
- Ebola has 'upper hand' says US health official
- Immigration protesters interrupt Sen. Marco Rubio
- American, US Airways will stop listing on Orbitz
- Miami Hurricanes still miffed, motivated by loss to Louisville
- Miami Dolphins DL Earl Mitchell already proving he’s a free agent gem
- Bethune-Cookman relishes last year’s win at FIU
- Leaner Dante Fowler Jr. hopes to feast on UF Gators’ opposing quarterbacks
- Former Miami Booker T. Washington High School QB Treon Harris named backup quarterback at the University of Florida
- Miami Marlins’ Christian Yelich excels as leadoff hitter
- FSU’s Delvin Purifoy out for the season
- Brady Quinn among 8 players released by Miami Dolphins
- Le Pain Quotidien scouting for four locations in Miami-Dade
- Royal Caribbean rolls out new tech for Quantum of the Seas
- Case-Shiller: Miami area home prices rose 11.5 percent in June
- Q&A with Maurice Ferré: What’s next after MAKO?
- At Orlando conference, retail experts predict malls will be increasingly innovative
- Burger King operations would remain in Miami in a Tim Hortons deal
- Lines open Monday for Miami-Dade IKEA
- Affordable Care Act exemptions mean millions don’t have to sign up
- Plum salsa puts grilled pork tenderloin over the top
- Oatmeal epiphanies: Gluten-free and pod-ready
- Pro tip: Indent your burgers for even Labor Day grilling
- Exercise-induced asthma can develop suddenly, but can be managed with a pulmonologist
- Ana Veciana-Suarez: On Labor Day, let’s celebrate the importance of leisure
- Stem cells are being tested to determine if they help mobility after a stroke
- Alison Lurie’s meditations on architecture fall flat in ‘The Language of Houses’
- What do you recommend?
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
- Culture Shock Miami brings cheap tickets and love of the arts to youth
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Peruvian journalist Zileri dead at 83
- Correction: Obit-Sperling story
- Correction: Britain-Obit-Richard Attenborough
- Oglala Sioux leader Gerald One Feather dies
- De Rothschild, grande dame of wine, dies at 80
- NASA: Former astronaut Nagel dies after illness
- B.K.S. Iyengar, Indian guru who helped popularize yoga in West, dies at 95
- Veteran music agent Peter Grosslight dead at 68