The block committees in the Havana neighborhood of Arroyo Naranjo are appealing to residents to help crack down on the theft of public telephones, which totaled 57 in the first 10 days of the month.
The Típico Viejo prison in the province of Las Tunas has been put under quarantine because of an epidemic of conjunctivitis, an eye infection, that affects 30 percent of the prison polulation, according to political prisoner Alfredo Domínguez.
Carriage driver Jorge Onelio Acosta says he was beaten by police and called a homosexual when his horse came in contact with a young boy last week.
Police agents arrested independent journalist Lisandro Herrera Arteta at a public festival and charged him with creating a public scandal.
Joel Lázaro Carbonell, president of the dissident Free Cubans organization, said from his prison cell that he was given a one-year sentence at a trial that ignored his rights.
Ernesto Rafael Mena, an ex-political prisoner and president of opposition Democratic Youth organization, says several State Security agents spotted him on the street last week and got out of their patrol car and beat him up.
Independent journalist Yosvani Anzardo Hernández, director of the Candonga agency, has been freed after two weeks' confinement in the Pedernales prison in Holguín province.
A block committee member told police he was knifed by dissidents when he tried to stop them from putting up anti-government posters in the Arroyo Naranjo district of Havana.
Dissident Yoel Marín, who had been free on parole, was reimprisoned on charges he was promoting the overthrow of the government.
A municipal court has sentenced dissident Arnaldo Herrera to one year in prison on charges he was responsible for anti-government signs put up near his home.
- Ultra Music Festival bans minors
- Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault
- Casey Anthony judge retires, joins private firm
- Four men pistol whip and pepper spray man in Southwest Miami-Dade, demand drugs and money
- Yemeni president dismisses Cabinet to ease tension
- NATO may create quick-strike force over Ukraine crisis
- Infamous speed trap town investigated over tickets
- Tropical Storm Dolly heads for Mexico's coast
- Florida States Jesus 'Bobo' Wilson back in lineup
- Award for FIU cornerback Richard Leonard
- Miami Hurricanes relive a nightmare in season opener against Louisville Cardinals
- Miami Dolphins’ Bill Lazor keeps offense strategy a secret
- Andre C. Fernandez: American Heritage looks for bounce-back win
- Game date for Florida-Idaho up in air
- Seven true freshmen see action for Miami Hurricanes in season opener
- Andre C. Fernandez: Booker T. Washington has edge against Central
- Brookings study: Miami attracts big share of foreign students, but not in STEM fields
- Entrepreneurship events a show of force of angels, startups
- WorldCity: Red ink abounds among South Florida exports
- A new operator readies Rio de Janeiros airport for 2016 Olympics
- CEOs split on the question of gambling
- For love and money: Some South Florida professionals find two jobs better than one
- Miami Herald Small Business Makeover: YaYa Wines toasts its new strategy
- Miami-Dade home and condo median prices hit six-year high
- Marvelous malbec deserves to be discovered
- Carolyn Hax: My sister the control freak is coming for a visit
- Roxane Gay offers a biting perspective on pop culture in ‘Bad Feminist’
- Fundraiser supports Read to a Child
- Steve Almond considers football, our unkickable addiction
- Desert Inn to get a Wild West revival?
- The events of 9/11 and its aftermath shape the lives of a Washington couple in ‘Before, During, After’
- Dear Abby: After a loved one's passing, grief can outlast the support
- Stage Door explores the songs of the 1960s with ‘What’s New Pussycat?’
- Thomas Wyroba, 64, beloved teacher at Miami’s New World of the Arts
- Miami singer-songwriter Cris Cab, just 21, breaking out with major debut
- Glimpse into tony world of antiques
- A South Florida acting couple lands the perfect roles: husband and wife
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of Aug. 31
- A strong debut despite its shortcomings
- Coral Reef grad Ricky Ubeda vaults to the top of TVs So You Think You Can Dance
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- President of Staten Island Museum dies
- Retired Associated Press newsman dies in NY at 76
- Ex-Romanian foreign minister under communism dies
- Spanish fashion designer Pertegaz dies at 96
- Former Jethro Tull bass player Glenn Cornick dies
- Kurt Meyer, LA architect who was committed to civic service, dies at 92
- Ex-US sailor who spied for Soviets dies in prison
- Real estate executive and Jewish leader Kenneth Schwartz dies at 88