The block committees in the Havana neighborhood of Arroyo Naranjo are appealing to residents to help crack down on the theft of public telephones, which totaled 57 in the first 10 days of the month.
The Típico Viejo prison in the province of Las Tunas has been put under quarantine because of an epidemic of conjunctivitis, an eye infection, that affects 30 percent of the prison polulation, according to political prisoner Alfredo Domínguez.
Carriage driver Jorge Onelio Acosta says he was beaten by police and called a homosexual when his horse came in contact with a young boy last week.
Police agents arrested independent journalist Lisandro Herrera Arteta at a public festival and charged him with creating a public scandal.
Joel Lázaro Carbonell, president of the dissident Free Cubans organization, said from his prison cell that he was given a one-year sentence at a trial that ignored his rights.
Ernesto Rafael Mena, an ex-political prisoner and president of opposition Democratic Youth organization, says several State Security agents spotted him on the street last week and got out of their patrol car and beat him up.
Independent journalist Yosvani Anzardo Hernández, director of the Candonga agency, has been freed after two weeks' confinement in the Pedernales prison in Holguín province.
A block committee member told police he was knifed by dissidents when he tried to stop them from putting up anti-government posters in the Arroyo Naranjo district of Havana.
Dissident Yoel Marín, who had been free on parole, was reimprisoned on charges he was promoting the overthrow of the government.
A municipal court has sentenced dissident Arnaldo Herrera to one year in prison on charges he was responsible for anti-government signs put up near his home.
- Hurricanes coach Barrow leaves football program
- 62 killed in Gaza; Israeli soldier feared captured
- Decision to drop hit-and-run case sparks outrage
- After Gov. Scotts secret trip to King Ranch, he tapped a ranch executive for state regulatory board
- STDs are on the rise in Miami-Dade County
- Three charged in airport lounge scam
- Feds to monitor Fla. election law changes
- Fla. judge orders new congressional map
- South Florida coral stone landscaper Benjamin Bistrong dies at 44
- Federal court case shows ex-Miami Rep. David Rivera is ‘co-conspirator’
- Ethnic politics, ethics issues spill over into some judicial races in Miami-Dade
- LGBT-rights group Equality Florida raises profile, builds clout
- Appeals court upholds genital searches at Guantánamo
- US job growth eases but tops 200K for a 6th month
- David J. Neal: NFL fumbled on Ray Rice punishment, then tried to justify it
- Miami Hurricanes’ QB position in flux again as Kevin Olsen faces at least one-game suspension
- Man who died scuba diving was added to Miami Hurricanes roster a day earlier
- Miami Marlins left raging after replay review helps Cincinnati Reds to victory
- Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade ready for challenge following LeBron James’ departure
- Miami Dolphins Don Jones humbled, changed since anti-gay tweets
- Greg Cote: LeBron-Heat saga unfolds, and its stranger than first thought
- Miami Hurricanes forced to alter coaching staff after longtime assistant Micheal Barrow leaves
- Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services acquires Highland Capital Brokerage
- IRS commissioner visits Miami to spotlight viral ID theft, tax fraud
- Stonegate Bank reports lower second quarter earnings
- Florida’s largest health insurer, Florida Blue, is raising exchange rates an average of 17.6 percent
- Florida mental and behavioral healthcare providers get funding boost from Affordable Care Act
- U.S. Century Bank reports a loss for the second quarter, continues to plan for a recapitalization
- MTN Communications announces contracts with three cruise lines
- Miami International Airport sees slight uptick in passengers
- Dive into Greek culture on the Florida coast? Opa!
- STDs are on the rise in Miami-Dade
- It’s the season to see Key Deer
- Fasting can improve chemo effects
- Dear Abby: Obsession over six-pack abs puts swimmer in unsafe water
- Chew on This: Spices make food flavorful, and more healthy
- Carolyn Hax: Siblings not pitching in when mother needs them
- What’s the difference between skin rejuvenation and skin resurfacing?
- WWE’s Bautista, Glenn Close, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Chris Pratt in Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’
- A branch of O Cinema may be coming to North Beach
- Comic-Con 2014: Hollywood stirs fan fervor
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of July 27
- Naturalist’s book gives hope for wildlife preservation
- Tales of worldy travels take ghostly turn
- An A-to-Z guide to Miami Spice 2014
- ‘Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy’ brings a United Nations of talent to the Broward Center stage
- The Herald recommends: For Broward County Commission
- The Herald recommends for Miami-Dade, Broward commissions
- The Herald recommends: For Miami-Dade County Commission
- Right issue, wrong response on children at the border
- The Herald recommends for School Board and property appraiser
- The Herald recommends
- Israel’s challenge
- Worth a thousand words
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Manny Roth, founder of Café Wha?, dead at 94
- Guitarist, songwriter for Alice Cooper dies at 71
- Hotelier Saul Tamen, who brought kitchens to South Beach hotels, dies at 105
- Correction: Obit-Robert Drew story
- 'Godfather of Makeup' Dick Smith dead at 92
- Veteran TV impresario Robert Halmi Sr. dies at 90
- Cinema verite documentarian Robert Drew dies at 90
- 'Flower Drum Song' lead James Shigeta dies at 85